Saturday 1 January 2011

Celebrating the Last Day of the Year

To celebrate the last ever day of 2010, some of us from our youth group got together at Westgate Cinemas to watch the latest Chronicles of Narnia movie, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. To be honest, I haven't been the most enthusiastic fan of the Narnia series, and so haven't really watched the first two movies of the series properly. Being in the cinemas though and watching this third movie in 3D though made me have to pay attention and it wasn't that bad! One character in the movie even looked like one of the boys at our church!


After the movie finished, we all got rides back to church where we had dinner, which consisted of pizza, KFC and takeaways! There was quite a bit so I was pretty full afterwards! We all just hung around talking to each other when Jenny arrived with a Pavlova for dessert!


Someone mentioned the Trusts Stadium and the athletics track being open to the public, so a group of us walked down there after dinner to just play around. I was too full to go running, so I just headed to the playground with some of the girls!



We were soon called back so we headed back to church where we went into the hall to play this game called 'The Appreciation Game'. We all got into groups and had to roll the dice to get through the course, while answering questions that required us to share a little bit about ourselves. It was interesting hearing what others had to say! There was even a spinning wheel which required you to share a fond memory of a particular person, depending on where the arrow stopped! I had to talk about my appreciation for my parents and for one of my neighbours in another round!

There were some questions on love, fond memories and other things. Andrew always seemed to get the deep questions, and always had a deep answer to reply with!


After the game ended, Gabrielle started off the sharing regarding the youth group this year. We then took turns talking about what we liked about youth group this year, which was nice to hear. Some talked about the performances we gave this year, such as the Mother's Day performance, Karvin's farewell and the Christmas play. Others talked about the random birthday surprises. Someone also brought up church camp and how they weren't allowed to stay up...WHEN WILL THEY LET IT GO?!?! (I'm kidding I don't mind I was following orders! haha).

It was also up to me to settle a score with Rebecca. Earlier in the week she challenged me to make her scream today, and so I tried during a supposedly scary part in the movie but it didn't work! She then got me back when she shook me and...I admit I let out a teeny weeny yelp! Well when we were leaving, I grabbed Joylynn's jandals, crept up behind her and tried to scare her but it didn't work! 


So here's my punishment...

It was getting late, and so it was time to leave church. A few of us though were going to head off to Jireh's house to see in the New Year.


At Jireh's house we all had a bit to eat and had Sound of Music on TV (we gave in to Jenny) while we played Scrabble. I have to say I'm surprised at how fun Scrabble could be! I suppose it's more fun when you're with more people.

Phillip and I were on the same team, up against Hamish, Andrew and Ben on one team, and Jenny and Grace on the girls' team. At first it didn't look too good with us behind in terms of score. 


We took a break right on midnight to welcome in the New Year. We used the countdown on TV and watched the fireworks that followed (on TV too). Hopefully it was live and not delayed! Jireh gave us all party poppers so we popped those and made some noise as we crossed into 2011! 


To start off the year in style, Phillip and I overtook the girls (who had been leading the game of Scrabble for the majority of the time) and won! Wooo go guys!


The guys who were staying the night started playing card games, while the girls, Hamish and I left for home not too long after.



What a way to finish one year and start the other, with friends, Sound of Music and a game of Scrabble! Happy New Year everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment