Saturday 29 January 2011

Chen's 21st Birthday

Tonight was Chen's early 21st birthday party, since he will be starting uni early (being a medical student and all) and won't be able to celebrate next month when he really does turn 21. This was a really special 21st as we've known Chen since primary school which dates all the way back to 1998!

Chen had asked me to give a birthday speech for him so I stayed up late last night perfecting the speech, while Aonghas put together a a little video montage using a few videos he dug out from the Anderson archives.

I spent this morning before the party trying to make Diane's (his cousin) 21st birthday present that I owe her a year ago (we had an agreement that we'd make handmade presents for each other's 21st birthdays!) but didn't get it done in time, so I asked her if I could give it to her by the next time I meet up with her! Ouch! She was OK with that though so that was a relief!

When we got to Chen's house most people were already there eating. There was a slideshow playing on the TV (I think most of the photos were the ones we sent him!). We grabbed some food to eat and joined some of the guys we knew, like Zahir and Alex from high school and Diane. I knew a few of Chen's friends as I've met them before at Grafton, and some of them do pharmacy!

We just sat around eating and talking, waiting for a few more friends to show up before it was time for Chen's 21st birthday speeches!


I was the only person Chen really approached about giving a speech, so I gave a speech I had prepared for him, followed by Aonghas who played a video he had put together for him without his knowledge. I think that really surprised him!


After we finished, Chen opened the floor for others to say a few words about Chen, and it was remarkable just how many people had something nice to say about Chen! It definitely shows what a great friend he is. We heard all sorts of stories about him at uni and at high school.


His parents were the last to give him a speech and it was very heartfelt and touching!


Chen then gave a thank you speech which was well planned and thought out!


We all went to the kitchen and gathered around the table as we sang Happy Birthday to Chen before cutting the cake.


After we all had a slice of cake, it was time for Chen to unwrap his presents! He got a telescope from a group of his med friends, a shaver from his girlfriend Rose, and from the Anderson brothers he got a model of a heart! He got an iPhone 4 from Diane's family though so nothing can really top that off!


To finish off the night there was Xbox Kinect in one room and Wii in the other. I had a go at both, playing the Dance Revolution on Kinect and looking like a fool, and then losing at baseball on the Wii!


It was just on midnight and time to go. We had our last photos with Chen before it was time to go!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY to a truly great and wonderful friend Chen!

No comments:

Post a Comment