Tuesday 1 January 2008

Welcoming the New Year

This New Year's Eve was the first time I had gone out and done something different to celebrate New Years besides watching the Sky Tower fireworks. I went over to Sarena's to join her and several others (mostly from Rutherford) to hang out and count down to the new year.

It took a bit of a compromise with my mum to be allowed to go, as she wanted the family to watch the Sky Tower fireworks together as a family. Aonghas wanted to go to a sleepover with his friends and kept pushing my mum to allow him to go though, and she wasn't too happy with that. I thought I better stick with family so I agreed that I would go over to Sarena's till about 11.30pm and then my parents could pick me up and we'd watch the fireworks together.

I admit I waited till Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events had finished before leaving for her house though. I got lost on the way there though, but when I got there the guys were all around the TV playing Guitar Hero, which looks a lot like Singstar, only with a guitar! I managed to have a go at it after a while, trying the easiest song!

Soon everyone moved downstairs to play Singstar. Alex, Nick and Shrikkanth were the keenest singers, while the rest of us enjoyed their beautiful singing. Because we were played this at Sarena's birthday party at her house last year, some people kept thinking they were at Sarena's birthday party!

A while later Alex got out his poker set, and he and Lindsey taught Jacqueline and me how to play. Together with Larry, we had a few rounds. Larry was really confident and bet all his chips and Lindsey advised me to match it. Surprisingly I managed to win, which I still don't understand completely! The game died after that though!

Singstar continued for a little while longer but closer to midnight the fireworks was handed out and everyone grabbed incense sticks. My mum and Hamish came along and decided to just park outside on the road besides Sarena's house where they could see the Sky Tower. We lined up the fireworks on the grassy area opposite Sarena's house, ready to set them alight at midnight. I raced to my mum and Hamish just to let them know what was going on and encourage them to join us, when the disjointed countdown started. I dashed back to the fireworks, and as soon as we were given the sign, everyone lit their fireworks, except for Shrikkanth and me! We couldn't get ours going! Shrikkanth ran back and set us off, and I tried to get back, dodging the falling debris and avoiding inhaling the smoke. I tried to set my fireworks off again but to no avail! This time I enlisted the help of Alex, and got it going, but when it went going, the fireworks shot all over the place! Apparently it was a dud, and I since I was running away from it I had no idea. There was a car parked very close by where the fireworks were set off, so fortunately the fireworks didn't hit any houses or cars!

Once 2008 arrived, we all stood there on Sarena's drive hugging and shaking hands with each other, wishing a happy New Years to everyone. While people had casual chats and discussed whether they would go into town or not, Alex and David had an arm wrestling match on the grass while a few others just lay there staring up into the sky. I wasn't allowed to go into town (I'm still a clubbing virgin!!) and because my mum and Hamish were waiting I thought I better not hold them up for too long, so I decided I better wish everyone a Merry Chr..Happy New Year before leaving!

What a great way to welcome in the new year, with friends and family!

No comments:

Post a Comment