Tuesday 8 January 2008

Different People

Rather than going to church on Sunday morning, Hamish and I found ourselves at Cornwall Park. Megan, a primary school friend had invited us to a little gathering she had organised for her friends. I was a little hesitant at first as I would be with all these strangers for 7-8 hours, but I thought I would just go with the flow and try meet some new people and take my mind off things.

We got there and caught up with Megan and just had a little chat about her new job which involves blurring faces and animating maps for the show Police Ten-7. If you watch the next season of this show, look out for Megan Wong in the credits!

Gradually a few more people arrived and we all just sat around eating and casually talking. A few of Megan's friends were 'fire dancers', who can spin these sticks and poi while lit on fire. Megan just recently got into it too.

Hamish and I didn't really talk much at first as it seemed as though everyone knew each other except for us. After a while we started playing card games like 'President' and 'B@$+@rd'. Megan also taught us all how to play Mah-Jong, which means now when I play on Yahoo I'll know what I'm doing! We also played this game where we had to pretend we were animals (yeah sounds a little childish but a whole lot of fun!).

It was soon nearing 6pm and I wanted to walk up One Tree Hill before we left, so I went on a little walk on my lonesome. I must've taken the long way as I think my walk took just under an hour! The view was amazing from the top of the hill. There were quite a few people up there looking around. There too stood the little stump. They're taking their time replacing that tree!

I returned to the group and they were just finishing off their game before we jumped in cars and drove to Mission Bay to catch up with a few more of Megan's friends. We met this guy who works occasionally for Radio Live (Megan and some of her non-fire-dancing friends studied Bachelor of Communications at AUT so they have jobs at these high profile media companies!!) and it was interesting talking to him!

We went over to a fish-n-chip shop across the road to grab a bite before going back to the park by the fountain to watch all the guys play with some fire. It amazes me how they can do it without burning themselves! You'd never want me swinging those things or juggling sticks on fire! Aonghas and our mum came to join us soon.

It was a good experience in the end and it was good getting to know and talk to people you usually wouldn't associate with who are outside your circle of friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment