Saturday 19 January 2008

Finally off the Ground

Last night was the first English-speaking youth group meeting at our church. After nearly a year and a bit of talk and planning, it was finally happening, and to start it off we had a little barbecue. The initial number of people wasn't too large. There were only about six of us, as a few had work and other commitments, but bear in mind it was our first meeting! There were also all the Cantonese and Mandarin groups going on in other rooms though.

I spent most of the time talking to Gabrielle, one of the group leaders who used to go to Rutherford College who's now studying architecture. The girls seemed to be hanging out together while the guys hung out with the guys!

After the barbecue we went into a room and did some singing (pitiful effort by most! I'm sure I heard more guys singing than girls!), played some ice-breaker games like trying to name the other person before the other person could name you (I know the way I've put it makes it sound a bit lame but it was a good way of remembering people's names!), and also did a bit of sharing and stuff like that.

Overall it was a good start and now we've just got to grow the youth group a bit.

---

Boy has it been hot lately? I originally thought 34 degrees Celsius was bad, today our thermometer recorded 39 degrees Celsius in the conservatory!

---

Congratulations to all those who passed NCEA, and to those who passed NCEA Level 3, yay no more NCEA EVER for you guys! Since Aonghas has been at camp, we got his results in the mail and being the open family we are, we ripped open his envelope and checked his results (we did warn him though!)! Fortunately he didn't do too badly. He passed everything and achieved NCEA Level 2 with Excellence, got NCEA Level 3 and University Entrance so that's a big PHEW. When I texted Aonghas to let him know we checked his results, he first replied

"Are they bad?"

---

Chinese New Year Festival is on at the ASB Showgrounds today from 9-3pm! One of the only times I feel sorta like an Asian, being pushed, shoved and squished around! How cool is that! I'll type up all the goings on when I get back.

---

Let's make it official - Melissa and I have a bet with 20c on the line. I won't say much right now but it's somehow related to Valentine's Day. Roll on my 20c!!

No comments:

Post a Comment