Monday 14 August 2006

Joys of Being all Grown Up

I got this letter in the mail in the weekend from the IRD warning me:

Dear Mr Anderson

OVERDUE IR 3 INCOME TAX RETURN FOR THE PERIOD ENDED 31 MARCH 2006.


We have not received your 2006 Ir 3 income tax return, and the due date has now passed...
If we do not hear from you within 30 days from the date of this letter:
- We will charge you a late filing penalty, and
- We will also estimate the amount of tax that we think you should pay...

Please remember that not filing income tax returns is a serious offence, and we do take legal action against people who do not comply with the tax laws.


Yours faithfully
Steven Whittaker
Area Manager

Well that's nice! It stated in the letter that you only need to fill in one of those forms if you receive any income apart from salary, wages, interest or dividends, or taxable Maori authority distributions (yip that sounds like me...not), but I haven't received any other income! I tried ringing IRD several times, getting a message:

"Due to unforseen circumstances we are unable to attend to your call. Please try again later" beep beep beep beep....

I finally got through, gave my IRD number and the lady told me that when I got paid as the student rep the school considered me as an 'external contractor', so now I've still got to fill in one of those forms! Great fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment