Saturday 26 August 2006

Dress up + Talent Quest

Today at school was Korean, Kiwi and Other Day! (how I like to consider it anyway!) It was cool to see quite a few students dress up in their cultural costume! I was a little worried because I came to school dressed as a Scotsman, wearing a kilt, a hat and one of those Scottish fannypacks (lol I don't know what the Scottish call it!)

I got some weird and interesting looks and comments from staring people as I walked through school:

"Shot dude!! You're wearin a skirt!!"
"Are you wearing a G-string underneath that?"
"Cool costume" (thanks!) "I was being sarcastic" (me then gives her a sad face)
"Look! That guy's wearin a skirt!"

I kept telling them it was a kilt! Oh well in the end I gave up and just told them I wanted to see what it felt like for a day. People didn't have to worry about underneath, as I was wearing shorts!

Apparently there were people joking about me wearing a skirt, and saying that I needed to shave my legs. I didn't really think people would scrutinise my legs that closely! I don't really know about shaving/waxing legs...apparently it's gay to do it, but girls prefer smooth hairless legs? That's why I wear trousers to school!

This was a comment from one of my brother's friends:

"Hey Aonghas I saw your brother today. It's probably the first time I've seen his legs...or maybe I've already seen them before?"

My physics teacher, the careers lady, my dean and Esther also wore Scottish clothes so we were all like family! Other people wore cool costumes like Shen, who looked like an Indian prince! Jacqueline wore her Indian dance costume. Shirley and this other Korean girl (pianist for the orchestra I should know her name!!!) wore their pink Korean dresses. Phoebe wore a cool Chinese dress (I think?) while Azza kinda just covered herself completely!

All this International Languages Week, fundraising and charity drives are starting to make me poor! I spent a dollar on a daffodil earlier in the week. I then gave some money to my friend. Then today I bought one of those Daffodil Day wristbands (just out of curiosity as I've never had one of those before...and it just has to be munted by the sun) for $4 (I think?), another daffodil (because I lost the other and was feeling generous at the time) and then Shirley's friends asked me to help them fundraise for their Wider Living Week trip by buying a Snickers bar from them, which cost another  $2! Now I'm left with nearly....zilch.

Tonight was the talent quest. I was filming with Aonghas, and I must say it was really, really good! Joanne did a great job this year with it. The programme was divided into three sections - dance, singing, bands. We had three judges, Oscar Kightley (ex-Rutherford), Liana Hape (ex-Rutherford), and then this other girl who was also in Sione's Wedding. The judges' table was set up in a similar way to how Rutherford Idol was in the previous two years, and one judge gave a comment after each performance. Ewen Gilmour and Heather were really good and entertaining MC's too!

It was surprising to see such a strong rock presence at our school and very little hip-hop/r n b! I guess that all came in on the Fia-Fia Night. Anyway, in the end Janet won the singing (good on her!), Danielle and Tasha won the dance, and Corona won the band. Nick and Shrikkanth's band performed tonight. It was cool seeing Shrikkanth again, back at Rutherford! Their band was really cool! Another performance which was really good too was Michaela, who sang jazz accapella. She was probably the most professional out of all the singers, but I think the judges went with the audience. One unlucky performance though was a duet by two girls who sang Unfaithful by Rihanna. The first time the corded microphone wasn't working. They started the backing track again, but then the battery-powered wireless microphone died! It was such a shame!

However the Talent Quest went really well! Hopefully it will continue in the future at Rutherford, and become a permanent fixture like Studio Shows and Fia-Fia Nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment