Monday 3 September 2007

Kiwi Asian Club Ball

Yesterday was the Kiwi Asian Club ball, and once again I was really really dreading going and regretting buying the ball ticket as I really didn't know anyone there. At the last Kiwi Asian Club event I went to I mainly talked to Aneesya but she wasn't going to the ball, so I was afraid I was going to be a loner! Earlier in the day as well Diane had just told me she wouldn't have time to meet up with me during the holidays and so I was a little sad about that too. My mum though wasn't going to let me waste $65 on the ball ticket and was adamant I was going to that ball, although she thought it would be one of those boozed up parties!

So it was about 6pm and the doors would close at 7.15pm and I hadn't even had a shower or prepared anything! I quickly jumped in the shower and got out at 6.30pm. I grabbed one of my dad's suits, the Mickey Mouse tie I've always wanted to wear, and then sifted through my folder to look for the ball ticket when I realised I COULDN'T FIND MY BALL TICKET!!! I practically trashed the house in search of the ball ticket before trying to text Kat or Melissa, two KAC members who are further up in the pecking order and know people in high places! They told me that I just had to bring photo I.D. so I jumped in the car and got going!

Originally I was going to try dress up to the theme of 'A Knight's Tale' but I started to have second thoughts when I realised I didn't want to have to carry around props and accessories throughout the night or else leave it somewhere for it to be stolen. That's when it hit me...what if I went disposable and made my props with something I could easily throw away...such as balloons! Because I was in such a rush, I got Aonghas to follow some DIY videos on YouTube and try make me a balloon crown and sword. He didn't do too badly going by the numerous compliments I got! :D

As we approached the city I started to have doubts as to where the ball was held, but fortunately Kat texted me just in time to let me know it was at the Stamford Plaza Hotel. There at the entrance was Kat with some other girl who checked my photo ID and then let me in. I was shown to my table where it was just me and these two girls sitting opposite. I thought I better try get to know some people so I don't look as though I'm unfriendly! One of the girls was called something like Breville???? I remember the other girl's name though. Excuse the spelling, but she was called Yi!! How I remember that was I just thought of her name as 'one' in Chinese! When we were later lining up for dinner and she was standing behind me, she asked me if I recognised her and still remembered her name, and thank goodness I did! I nearly didn't though as all the girls in their dresses and their hair tied back looked pretty similar!

Another person who was sitting at our table was David Jiang and his partner! The same David Jiang from Rangeview!! It's amazing who you catch up with! He still managed to recognise me and remember my name! Actually I was amazed at how quite a few of the KAC members remembered me from the last event! On either side of me was this guy Leo who I got to know over the night, and Matt, Melissa's boyfriend who I also got to know over the night as well. Sarena, Kat, Melissa and occasionally Sarena's cousin Allen.

The ball was run in a different way to the usual school ball where there'd just be dancing, dinner, dessert, awards and then more dancing till midnight. During this ball there was a little three part movie based on the ball theme and featuring the KAC executives that was shown throughout the night. The night started off (this may not be in the correct order!) with a hip-hop dance by some members. Prizes and acknowledgements were then made by the club president Suzy (I got this girl I met...I think Bettrina or something like that mixed up with her!). Congratulations to Sarena who got best dressed!! Then it was finally dinner time! Matthew showed me the meat that I should try filling myself up with to recoup the $65 I spent on the ball tickets. I only managed two plates before dessert was already served! Dessert was really nice!

After dessert there was a little skit based on Japanese video games, that featured our very own Sarena! She was battling Sean (the Sean from Rutherford!) and she hit her head against the ground, making a really loud THUMP, but amazing got back up and carried on! A band performed shortly after, which involved a microphone dying and the technician guy knocking over a bottle and smashing it in the middle of a performance. They performed a Paramore song, which surprised me, because it's Kar-Mun's favourite band and I didn't even know they were that well-known!

By 10pm it was finally time to dance! It started off with the fast techno-dance sorta music, my sort of music! We eventually formed a circle where we randomly got shoved into the middle and got made to do a little solo dance. Later into the night the music started turning into more hip-hop RnB style music, which wasn't so bad, as well as the classic songs which we all jumped up and down and sang to.

When it was all over we were all hanging around and people were spraying that crazy-stringy stuff around and I got some sprayed in my hair!

Overall it was a pretty cool night. I got to know quite a few new people and was amazed at how some people who I hadn't really known too well still remembered me. The friendliness of the members of the club has really encouraged me to try get more involved in the club and participate more in activities when possible! Hopefully I might some great friends there!

No comments:

Post a Comment