Wednesday 15 November 2006

Second to Last Day at School

Even though first period was my free, I still had to come to school early because I had forgotten to pay for my year 13 dinner, when Monday was supposed to be the last day! Typical me forgot all about it! Fortunately I was able to pay for it in the morning before school. We had prize-giving practice first period. Ms Heath the assistant principal went through the procedure, where we should sit, how we should line up, what we should do and all that. She told the year 13s that they had to get it right as we were a shambles in the merit prize-giving! (Don't look at me just because I had to tell people where to sit...!) Afterwards when we were released I went to transition room to work on (or should I say start on) my farewell speech for prize-giving.

Next period we had cultural prize-giving practice. I was a little clueless so thank goodness we did have a practice! It didn't last too long, so once we were released again I went back to transition room to work on my speech again! I didn't get very far though!

Cultural Prize-giving was during third and fourth period. Ms Geddes the former music teacher was there with her baby who was so cool! The format of the prize-giving was slightly different to previous years. Juniors and seniors were both awarded prizes at the same ceremony. There were also awards for each different cultural group, with some getting trophies, instead of everyone getting one like in previous years. I was awarded Outstanding Performer of the Orchestra.

I had to do this little intro speech for the guest speaker let's see if I can still remember...Opeluge Apulu Ah Sam!!! I had been practising that name all day! He was an ex-student from Mt Albert Grammar School who had completed a PhD in music at Melbourne University, and had arranged music and conducted various choirs at various events. After his speech he and a few friends of his performed Samoan opera, which was interesting!

We finished the day with statistics class, in which we didn't have to do anything. Alex provoked me to chuck my t-shirt across the room to him along with the marker pen so that he could sign it. I was a little apprehensive but did it, and thought it'd be OK, till the statistics teacher turned around and looked at me and said

"Calum!!! Is this the first time I've ever told you off?"

with some sort of grin, and the whole class heard it!


No comments:

Post a Comment