Sunday 19 December 2010

Musical Christmas

Today's service at church was considered our Christmas service since next Sunday will be Boxing Day and past Christmas time. It was going to be a very busy service, with several performances.

One such performance was our music performance. A few weeks ago the minister had asked me if I could organise some sort of music group/orchestra to play some music for the service. The two pieces he wanted us to play was 'For Unto Us a Child is Born' by Handel, and 'What Child is This', to fit in with the theme of the service . I had tried figuring out various ways of arranging the music, but ended up having to go with a string quartet arrangement for the first piece, and string quartet plus three flutes for the second piece.

We got to church extra early in the morning and had a quick practice before the service started. We were first to perform. To be honest our first performance didn't go too well. There was a bit of a mix-up over the start of the piece, and we played a lot faster than we had practised. Jenny obviously wasn't too happy with our performance, so after our youth group sang a couple of Christmas carols after, she got us to come out of the service and do more practice before we had to go back in to perform the same piece.



There wasn't much time for me to practise again as I also had to sing with the children. I didn't realise I had to join in singing this Chinese song, and so I had to learn it really quickly. I did try to write the words on my hand but it started coming off with all my sweat! As well as the Chinese song, we were also singing 'This Little Light of Mine'. We had a quick practice but as usual I kept stuffing up!

After a quick music practice, I went up on stage with the children and I managed to make it through the Chinese song managing to memorise it all and not stuffing up. I slightly stuffed up the second song though, and all the girls standing with me turned and smiled at me!



Our string quartet performed our piece for the second time right at the end of the service, this time a tad slower and much better!



We just mucked around on our accordions in a side room while the congregation had to remain in the hall for a short meeting about church affairs or something like that, before it was time for shared lunch! I love shared lunches at church!

After the lunch, it was time for the church auction. Church members donated various goods that were to be sold or auctioned, with all money going towards the church building. There were things like PSP's, teddy bears, jewellery and clothes. I wasn't really interested in buying anything, but my mum did buy some ornaments and others bought all sorts of things.

 

Aonghas and Jireh came up with a creative way of making some money for the church by offering hugs for 50c. They managed to make a respectable $9.50 between the two of them, mainly from 'middle-aged women'! Hopefully the church made a bit of money from the auction!


No comments:

Post a Comment