Saturday 11 June 2011

Crossing the Line

Today I had probably one of the worst experiences I've had in my five or so years of teaching music. My first class of two six-year-old girls weren't paying attention. They would just ignore me when I started counting, urging them to be ready. I split them up, getting one of them to sit on the other side of the table, but to no avail. I even threatened to tell their parents or send them home, to which they responded with

"Yayyy!! Then we can go play on the playground!!"


They would get out of their seats and run around the classroom as well.

As just a Saturday morning music teacher there isn't much I can really do. It's not like I can give them detention. Fortunately my supervisor came over to ask if I needed any photocopying, and I mentioned I was having problems with these two girls and so she sat down and helped control them. This is the first time I've ever had to ask for help with controlling kids. She talked to the parents at the end of the lesson, recommending they sit in on the class from now on. Hopefully that will work.

I've never had a class as disruptive as this before.

Anyway on a lighter side, here are a couple of drawings of Charmander one of my older and more well-behaved students drew!


No comments:

Post a Comment