Monday 27 March 2006

Miscommunication

Wow the school had a great turnout tonight! There were parents everywhere! I suppose the majority were parents of year nine students, but nonetheless good to see parent support!
 
Most of my teachers were OK to me. I got my result back for my Electrochemistry test. Thank goodness I passed with a merit! (Oh yeah by the way I passed for the history essay I stayed up till 5am doing! Phew!) Probably the harshest teacher of the night was my Chinese teacher. She said I didn't speak enough in class and that I've got to speak more Mandarin to people. I told her I've been practising my Cantonese with Jacqueline though! Personally I prefer learning to speak Cantonese because it sounds so much more fun and easier. I'm probably more used to hearing Cantonese than Mandarin. Most of my Chinese friends find speaking to me in Chinese too weird as well! Anyway I shall persevere and try increase my Chinese speaking ability!
 
I had a bad lesson with my second year recorder class on Saturday. They wouldn't stop talking, with one of my students going on about how she liked going to McDonalds, another was going over to the sink because he was trying to wash goobies off his music folder, and his sister was pulling her recorder apart to discover all the different pieces. I was trying to get them to play through ONE sheet and then I would give them something new! So frustrating! They managed to get through the sheet and I was going to give them something new....but then I realised I didn't bring anything new...and the lesson was supposed to be finished ten minutes ago...
 
I feel a bit bad because at Sunday School at church yesterday we were talking about God and blablabla and the Sunday School teacher asked me what I told people when they asked me if I was a Christian. I told her I told people I was supposed to be a Christian. She asked me what if people asked me what I meant by that. I told her that I still didn't quite understand everything, especially because I was going to a Chinese church it was hard to understand. She then suggested I try a Kiwi church, and now that I was old enough, I didn't have to follow my parents. I told her though that I could learn Chinese at this church though. Throughout the rest of the Sunday school class when the other Chinese people were using Kiwis as a comparison to the Chinese way, they would always add
 
"Oh no offence to you Calum"
 
After the second time this happened I said to them
 
"Nah hey I'm still half Chinese!"

No comments:

Post a Comment