Sunday 3 February 2008

Missing Out

I've been having problems with my university timetable and so I've been trying to sort it out with the university and they asked me to come in on Friday, so on Friday afternoon I went to the medical school. Well I tried anyway! I tried coming up to the door and swiped my access card, but the door wouldn't open! I also tried pushing the big red button to open the door, but it still wouldn't work! I waited around pretending what I was doing, until I decided I'd ask this lady waiting outside if she knew how to get in. She swiped her card and let me in. Once I got in, I couldn't find anyone to talk to! The reception was closed, and no one was around, so I just stood there trying to look around corners but to no avail.

I decided I'd go to the Student Support Centre to ring the lady I was supposed to see to find out where I was supposed to be going. Now the only problem was trying to get out of the building! I couldn't get the door open! I was trapped inside the building for a while till someone else came in and I dashed over to exit while the door was still open!

I managed to find out that I was in the right building and so I got back in, met up with the lady and discussed my timetable with her. It looks like it'll be another week or two before I get it confirmed!

Yesterday our family was originally going to go out for yumcha, seeing as the day would probably the last time in a while that everyone in the family would have the day off. We were going to check out the Imperial Gardens Restaurant, the one I went to with the Kiwi Asian Club (thanks guys for helping me discover this restaurant!). However, there were a few things our parents had to deal with at the bank, and with time against us, we got in the city too late for yumcha! After a heated discussion we ended up parking at the far end of the city where the remaining free car parks can be found. This meant we had to walk an extremely long way to get to the heart of the city, where we ended up having lunch at this Asian food court.

Once we had finished we walked along Queen St to Aotea Square, where we found these buskers performing as part of the Auckland International Buskers Festival. These two guys, dressed in very, very tight costumes performed these acrobatic acts, such as one standing on the shoulders of the other, one standing on his head on top of the other's head, and other things. They were very 'Russian', and we were all led to believe they were Russian, right up until the show finished, when they got out their donation bags that said AUSTRALIA on it with the Australian flag. Their Russian accent disappeared and was replaced with their Australian accent! It was all an act, just like the acrobatics!!

No comments:

Post a Comment