Monday 5 November 2007

Job Interview #1

After church today we went to West City to pick Aonghas up, but as usual he didn't finish on time, so my mum told me to wander around the mall seeing if there were any part time jobs available. Just as I was about to go, Aonghas finished! Despite that we ended up walking around West City, and we came across the Jester's Pies stand with a sign saying 'Part-Time Position Available', so I asked the girl at the counter about it and she directed me to these two women who were sitting at a nearby table. They introduced themselves to me and asked me if I could come back in half an hour as they were just about to interview someone. They'd tell me about the position then.

Half an hour later, I met up with them again, expecting them to just be telling me about the position, but it ended up turning out to be somewhat of a job interview! One of the women was the current owner and the other woman was the lady who had just purchased the stand. Now I'm a bit out of shape when it comes to job interviews as I've only had one before and that was about four years ago now! They asked me these questions about if I could do some cooking. I was caught a little off-guard as when I asked the girl at the stand if I needed to know how to cook pies, she said no. I ended up replying that I knew how to cook rice and noodles, and when they mentioned doing dishes and cleaning, I jumped and said I WAS CAPABLE OF THAT!!!

They did ask me how I felt about working with women, as currently all their staff members were women and I'd be the only guy. At first I thought they meant whether I'd feel out of place and feel like the job was too feminine for me, and said I didn't think Jester's had any reputation for being a female store. That's when they told me they meant as in making the girls do all the work and just slacking off, as had happened with a previous guy. I told them of course I wouldn't! That's no way to treat a woman!

They also asked me how confident I was with dealing with customers and whether I'd be able to cope with demanding customers (i.e. the customer is always right). I told them that I had a high tolerance level, and was very tempted to tell them that I've coped with dealing with very very difficult teachers (I won't mention names here but...Hyun and Joon will probably know who I'm talking about!)

I'm not too sure how the job interview went overall. I just acted like I normally would. They'll get back to me some time soon. As I was walking to the car I met my neighbour Szelin who happened to be looking for a job as well! I pointed out some stores looking for people to work for them. I just happened to forget to mention Jesters...

--

Once again someone just had to point out how single I am and how they can't believe I'm STILL single (thanks I think it's becoming a regular conversation topic now!) and challenged me to actually ask someone if they wanted to hang out these holidays, as usually other people are the first to ask me. So I guess I'll be adding that to my list - ask someone to hang out with me! Boy does that sound desperate...

No comments:

Post a Comment