Monday 9 April 2007

Sneaking Suspicion

I got to sleep in yesterday! I had to go over to North Shore for accordion lessons though, and that's where I found out that I'd be having dinner with the relatives later that evening! In between music lessons and dinner with the relatives I was going to attempt to buy a phone...

I got back home and found the neighbours had put up a fence in under a day! (It got damaged by the bad weather) Anyway Aonghas and I quickly delivered the newspaper (yep Western Leader makes you deliver newspapers that you can't deliver on holidays on other days!) in under half an hour and then walked down to West City. We first stopped by at that cellphone shop down the main street that was having a special discount sale because it was their anniversary. I told the lady I was looking at the N70 and the K800i and she showed them to me. I noticed the phones were slightly more expensive than some other Asian shops I had been looking at, yet this Indian lady was telling me they would cut $150 off the price just for me! I asked them about the little cards that go in the phone as well and they said they would give me a special discount on the price as well and sell a 512mb card to me for $80. Aonghas and I weren't too sure this was a great deal, so we told them we'd go discuss it with our parents (OK well we would...sometime...). The Indian lady tried to get me to buy it right there on the spot, telling me it was a good deal and wouldn't be at the same price come Monday, and that I didn't have much time to buy it! I told her I might come back soon!

Aonghas and I then went over to Dick Smith to compare prices and...use their internet on the display computers to do a bit of price checking, and discovered that even Dick Smith were selling the cards for less than those people, and Dick Smith are usually over-priced! The phone was about $35 more expensive than some other shops but I was thinking that since this shop was in Henderson and had longer warranty maybe I might as well get it, so Aonghas and I both deposited money from the machine (yeah I know I'm borrowing off Aonghas again!). We went over to Cotton On with the intention of buying some clothes but then Aonghas couldn't decide and time was running out so we decided to head straight to the cellphone shop.

Aonghas told me to try haggle the lady to bring the price down, but I have no idea how to do that and kinda felt a little bad at the prospect of doing that, so I was going to try get Aonghas to do it for me, but he didn't want to either so we decided to just pay the full price. We walked in, the lady saw us and immediately came over to us. When I told her I wanted to buy the phone, she told me they were all sold out! She could order one for me on Monday though, but then if I had to wait that long, I might as well buy one from the cheaper store! They then tried convincing me to buy the N70 and they'd throw in a card with it for the same price, but we both knew that was a rip-off! When they saw that I was not too keen, they tried encouraging me to spend another $100 and buy the N73! I told them I didn't have enough money and apologised to them, and as soon as we started for the door the lady just gave up on us and ditched us.

We spent the night at our relatives place for dinner with the other relatives as well. The dinner was held partly due to the fact that my cousin Greg is off to Australia to play softball for the next five months! Anyway it was really good seeing them, all those Hendo High people (we love taking digs at them!)


No comments:

Post a Comment