Wednesday 14 June 2006

Not Right

We were learning about cyclohexane and adding bromine to it in chemistry class yesterday. Mr Breckall our chemistry teacher was warning us about the dangers of cyclohexane being non-polar and all this. At the end of class though he nearly dropped a container or beaker of the stuff but me managed to catch it. Unfortunately it splashed on his face and got in his eyes! Man he sounded really worried! He was checking with the science technician what sort of symptoms he should look out for. He then announced to the class

"I was going to give back to you your test marks but I want to be serious when I do it and right now I'm just too de... I'll give them to you tomorrow"

But he ended up just giving the results back to us. I felt a bit bad for him. I wanted to see him after school just to check if he was OK because in class we were all joking and laughing about things. I think someone even joked he was going to turn into a cyclohexane monster!

Anyway later in that evening the group of us went back to Smales Farm for another session to listen to speakers talk about their technologically-based careers and companies. We were also told which companies we are going to learn more about by spending a day there. I'm going to go check out AJ Park, some patent and legal advisor firm I think. There's only one other Asian girl from Westlake Girls going as well so maybe I might be able to make a new friend! Hyun, Joon, Sarena and a few others are all going to some BioTech place while Shen got stuck with Healtheries, and so he was going on all evening about how he had to learn how minerals were made.

Alex owes me 50c after making a bet that Joon would fall asleep during at least one of the presentations when he didn't! Actually Hyun fell asleep (like I knew he would!) and I ...nearly...dozed off during one of them... Thank goodness for the Subway food they gave us!

No comments:

Post a Comment