Tuesday 14 February 2006

Valentine's Day Not Too Bad!

Valentine's Day wasn't actually too bad today...for being single anyway! Sure I didn't get anything, but that doesn't matter. When you've never gotten anything you don't expect anything, but you do get pleasure out of making other people's lives and their day happy!

After a turbulent start, everyone, even people outside the student leaders group and those against Valentine's Day got right in and helped make the Valentine's Day rose sale and delivery a success! Apparently we made over 160 deliveries, and had over 80 orders just today at interval! This morning I thought we might have a bit of difficulty buying the roses as they might be all sold out so I spent my first two periods (free periods...I wasn't wagging!) looking around shops for more roses. I bought a few more and thank goodness Heather and Ellyce bought a whole bundle of roses! Orders were taken during interval and afterwards Ellyce went out to buy additional roses and then the girls spent lunch writing cards and sorting the roses into form class ready to be delivered.

Originally we had planned to start student radio at lunchtime with a Valentine's Day special, but we discovered the equipment had been taken off a trolley and so we had no way of transporting the equipment. We've decided to start it next week.

Anyway during lunch while I was trying to sort out student radio with Troy Patrick asked me if there was assembly I had to attend and I also stumbled into the music room where I unexpectedly met all the music teachers! I ended up re-signing for cello, viola, string ensemble and orchestra.

After lunch I helped deliver some roses as well as take photos of the whole process (you never know who'll need the photos...maybe for the school magazine I don't know but at least I'm fulfilling one of my New Year's Resolutions ( 1. Take at least five photos a week)!

I ended up forgetting about attending the year 9 assembly to introduce myself while all the other head students had attended it! I'll have to attend the junior assembly on Friday.

In the end all the roses got delivered (I hope!) I ordered two roses on the day, one for Ellyce for all the work she did! I originally wanted to give one each to Jacqueline, Amy, Sarena and Estee for sticking by when things weren't looking too good, when I was desperate and for EVERYTHING they did from making the roses look nice to cutting the cards to writing the cards, but they kinda told me not to waste my money but I will repay them somehow and I WILL make sure Ellyce gets the $6 she initially spent on sample roses back!

I also gave a rose to Phoebe. When interval was nearly over and the girls were about to take the list away I was kinda tossing up whether to give her one, if she would think I was some sorta sick guy or something or if she would be embarrassed simply because the rose was from Calum (you can tell I've never done this before!). In the end I thought what the heck! I'll just give her one! I'm seventh form anyway and I don't want to think back when I'm 50 years old at how I was too frigid to give any girl a rose! Anyway I got a text from her thanking me for the roses so hopefully she doesn't think of me as a freak, but if she's happy then I'm happy! So that's one thing I can tick off my list of things I've done in my life - given a rose to a girl on Valentine's Day!

Of course I couldn't forget all those single people out there! I gave out my single people lollies to all those who were single (and those I considered single for a day). I hope my 'Single People Service' helped some of those single people get through the day! Once again I must remind everyone:
SINGLES AWARENESS DAY
TOMORROW WEDNESDAY 15 FEBRUARY
And this is what the enrichment teacher Mrs Russell said to my friend when I offered her a single people lolly today:
"I'm going to find Calum the perfect woman for him...BEFORE the ball!"

No comments:

Post a Comment