Monday 17 January 2005

What's Going On?

I had been talking to the neighbours for a little while last night, but as time went by, for some reason I gradually didn’t feel like talking more and more and I started to get weary. I don’t know if that’s because of the pills of because I was extremely hungry, or a combination of both. With all these side-effects, these pills better be worth it. Another four months to go though…

 

Today we went out to buy our stationery for school. I have to go to school for a half day next week for a uniform check. This year I get to wear the senior uniform – white polo shirt, navy blue jumper, shorts and socks, instead of the junior uniform which was lighter blue and grey. Since Hamish’s old uniform is too small for me, I still need to buy my uniform.

 

My studies during the holidays haven’t been going according to plan too well! I had originally planned to complete the whole year 12 Chemistry and Accounting syllabus so I’d be ready for school, but less than two weeks out from the start of school, I’m only up to chapter 10/21 in the accounting book and I’ve probably only scratched the surface in Chemistry. I’m really starting to get anxious because I’m aware of how important NCEA Level 4 Scholarship will be, especially if I want to get a financial scholarship.

 

Hamish got a reply from StudyLink today in the mail. This year his student allowance will be at the grand sum of…$12.94! That’d be enough for Hamish to pay for two and a half return trips to university in the city!

 

Congratulations to Kristin School student Christina Park for being accepted into Yale University in the USA. This is interesting however. Kristin School is a private co-ed school which offers the internationally recognised International Baccalaureate (IB) school examination. It is one in about seven schools registered to offer it in New Zealand, with all but one of the schools also being private. I had a look at the requirements to get into some of the top universities such as Harvard and Cambridge in England, and even if you do pass NCEA, it won’t be enough to be considered for a place at the two universities. In fact, to get into Harvard, you must sit the American school qualification SAT first. One person did suggest though that it is better to study at a local university first, such as Auckland for your undergraduate degree, and then it would be easier to get into an overseas university to study for your graduate degree.

 

Well it’s only four days till I turn 16. I still haven’t gotten my learners yet! I probably should concentrate on that more than those two subjects mentioned above since I’ll have a whole year to study it anyway. Oh thanks Phoebe for the cool birthday card! No one has really remembered my birthday in the past few years, especially since it’s during the school holidays. Last year my dad forgot it as well! I’d rather not turn a year older though! I may be getting older, but I ain’t getting taller!

No comments:

Post a Comment