Monday 4 October 2010

Helping People Give Up

We had a smoking cessation workshop today which I found really insightful! We practised motivational interviewing and different ways of encouraging people to give up smoking, and did a few role-plays. I found all of this really useful as I have a few friends who smoke, and I really don't like seeing them sending themselves to an early grave.



I did try some 'motivational interviewing' on a friend after the workshop, and it did help me get an understanding of where my friend was at and what they were thinking at the time which was good.

You can't really give help to people until they not only acknowledge they need it but are willing to accept it though, but that doesn't mean I'm giving up! I'm just waiting for that moment ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment