Sunday 12 August 2007

Gotta Stay Optimistic...

On Friday I basically got told that my health science degree would be useless and I would find it hard to get a job with it!

This has led me to have quite a few epiphanies...well not exactly epiphanies as they haven't come straight away to me but it's really made me open my eyes and realise I've got to start thinking about these things or else by the time I'm 30 years old I'm going to end up a lonely old man living in a shack and on the dole! To be honest...right now I have no idea where I'm going or what I'm doing!

So on Friday I decided to go to the Coke Careers Expo at the ASB Showgrounds. Now usually I'd spend this event going around asking useless questions, collecting rubbish and trying to get as many freebies as I possibly can. This time though I was going there solely for purposeful reasons! I went straight to the Auckland District Health Board stand to ask them what sort of job opportunities there were for someone with a Bachelor of Health Science degree.

This guy who's working on his Masters Degree in Nursing told me that in order to get a job I'd need to be registered, and and when I asked about health promotion and non-clinical jobs he said there weren't that many around and most of them would go to clinicians who had had enough of the clinical side of things and wanted to move on. He started promoting nursing as an alternative and it kinda made me think...Calum as a nurse? Hmmm......

I went straight to the University of Auckland stand afterwards to check if what the DHB guy told me was correct, but the lady from University of Auckland told me that it wasn't and that I should have a talk to the careers people at Tamaki.

I'm so confused!!!!! Everyone is telling me different stories and I don't know what to believe or what to dooo!!!! Alternatives I've been considering have been:
-Biomedical Science
-Bachelor of Health Science/Law (but apparently that is the most difficult combination)
-Bachelor of Science

This morning at church I got my Sunday School class to pray for me so hopefully God can help me! haha Jennifer said she understood my situation because I think she's facing the same dilemma (although she's a year 13 so she doesn't have to screw up her first year at uni!). She also gave me her CV to pass on to Aonghas so he could see if he could try get her a job at Cotton On. She told me not to read it because it was embarrassing but hmmmmm ;) Angie didn't go to church today because she was too busy working on her English seminar (or some sorta story like that!)

Last night though I chatted to Phoebe for the first time in a few weeks! It was a bit surprising that she actually replied to me, but it did feel a bit like de ja vu, because when I asked her how things are going and she said I've surely heard something, and so I admitted that I heard something about her, and she said she didn't expect me to hear about it and asked me if I had someone who gives me a weekly report on what goes on at school before abruptly going offline. I'm not too sure what happened there! Oh well hopefully we're on speaking terms again!

Later that night I also had a webcam/voice conversation with Diane for a few hours too which was really cool! She wasn't having such a good day due to earlier events and I really wanted to cheer her up. When she came online I then remembered that she told me a while ago that she got a microphone and so I suggested having a conversation over the Internet! I admit I was a little unprepared as I hadn't prepared any songs! For some reason we have this thing where we just joke around and sing songs to each other. I grabbed my ukelele and just tried rehashing a few songs using the only chords I could remember. Apparently I'll Make Love to You by BoyzIImen is our song because we jokingly sang it at this place we had lunch at when we met up with each other earlier! Fortunately by the end of the night she had cheered up so that's good! Now all she needs to do is get a webcam! I also promised her I would write a song for her so I've got to do that too!

Which led me to think...maybe instead of health science I could revive my fledgling singing career. It kinda stalled after my first single I'm a Chocoholic got me nowhere...


No comments:

Post a Comment