Monday 20 August 2007

First KiwiAsian Club Event...For Me!

On Saturday I attended my very first KiwiAsian Club event - Foodoke, which was having a buffet lunch at this Chinese restaurant, and then going to karaoke afterwards.

I had to rush straight home after music lessons to get ready before Sarena picked me up. She looks so mature behind the wheel...especially in a big jeep-type vehicle too! We got to the city and met up with her cousin Allen (or is it Alan?) and walked down Queen St to the restaurant. We originally thought we were late (yes my fault!), but it turned out that we were actually almost an hour early!

We waited outside for other members to arrive and when it finally was 1pm we all went in. The buffet was great! I'm used to going to yumcha where you only get three or four on a plate and can only eat a little bit and then fill the rest of yourself up with tea! This time though I could eat as much as I wanted! I ended up having three plates of food and two plates of dessert (I did sneak some stuff in my pockets to feed my family later that night ;) ) and so I couldn't be bothered entering the food eating competition.

Thank goodness Aneesya and Kat also came too, so I sat with them along with Sarena and her cousin.

While Melissa (who actually organised the event! Well done Melissa! I'm voting for you and Kat to be p-execs!!) was looking at the list of people who were supposed to be attending, I saw the name

JASON YOU

My old primary school friend who I hadn't seen for five years!! I started looking around for him. Dickson had told me the day before that he was now really tall. Well guess what? It turns out he was the winner of the food eating competition!

When time was up we had to leave the restaurant and walked all the way down to the karaoke place. We got split into two rooms and so I went into the room with the people I knew. I didn't really get a chance to sing much except for one song...a Backstreet Boys song. What's with me and singing old school pop songs!!

After a while we all went into one of the karaoke rooms to watch the competition for best and worst singing and most entertaining performance. Kat and Aneesya competed for best performance while Aneesya and Melissa got dancing on top of a table for most entertaining. I'm not really too sure who won because I had to leave early!

So I've finally broken that barrier and attended one KiwiAsian Club event. Next up is the KACino Royale gaming night where everyone gets together to play Mahjong, poker and big 5 against each other. I'm tossing up between whether I should go or not, as I don't know how to play any of those games!

1 comment: