Sunday 22 October 2006

First Party

I was invited to Sarena's birthday party, which I'm thankful for as I haven't been invited to any birthday party or party for that matter in the last few years! So this was going to be a new experience for me.

I spent the morning before accordion lessons looking around Westfield Glenfield for a present for her. I'm really bad at buying presents! I managed to find something at the last minute and so I got that along with a card and went off to my accordion lesson.

I went to the party slightly later than four and arrived at Sarena's huge house. Heaps of people were there already so that was good! They were all doing karaoke and everything. Somewhere along the way I ended up singing Hero by Mariah Carey really badly!

I was offered a glass of punch by Hyun and was about to walk away with it before being warned that it had alcohol in it! Phew!

When it was time for the food I got given four shrimps and a big piece of meat. After realising I had no idea how to eat it without making a big mess I tried offering the food to other people but no one would take it so I had to eat it myself. We then watched a bit of TV.

Later on in the night some people decided to have a few drinks. I stayed in one of the bedrooms for a little while with a few other non-alcoholics before coming downstairs to see what all the fuss and commotion was all about. They were all gathered around the bottles of alcohol all having shots of it. I was doing my best to encourage those being encouraged to drink some NOT to drink some, as well as promote water as a healthy and wise alternative to alcohol but of course no one listened to me and I just got ignored, so I just hung around others with our cool water. The fridge had some cool water/ice dispenser which I enjoyed playing with anyway! I suppose I go a bit further than other non-alcoholics to try influence others, and so everyone kinda knew I wasn't into alcohol already. When some of us guys were asked if we wanted a drink it went something like this...
"*&*( you want a drink?"
"Nah it's OK"
"How about you *&(&?"
"No thanks"
"Oh and I know DEFINITELY NOT FOR YOU CALUM"
Oh well I tried but its their decision in the end. My only disappointment was probably at one of my good friends who had promised me earlier he would never drink. He ended up succumbing to peer pressure (not matter how subtle) and drank more than most people, but once again it was his decision so I shall say no more.

But nah seriously I didn't mind it didn't take anything away from the night or anything! Being around my peers drinking was a new experience for me and something I've got to get used to, as I've been sheltered from the real world at home for too long, so yeah...something different!

In the end the candles were blown out and the cake was cut and distributed. It tasted very good too! Thanks once again Sarena for inviting me to your party!

You can bet Calum will never get invited to another party again!

1 comment:

  1. HAH JOON!
    ...was it joon?
    I didn't drink! Hah! But I have to admit, the blue bottle of alize looked pretty enticing. But i resisted! Hee :)

    ReplyDelete