Friday 22 September 2006

Very Profitable Day

On Wednesday, my free day off from school, Heather, Patrick, Jane and I were going to the ASB Bursary Scholarship lunch at Eden Park! What was exciting was not only getting to go to the lunch, but getting to go to Eden Park! Oh yeah and also getting to see all the other schools there! I told the others I would come at normal school time so that I would be there on time, but I ended up only getting there on time, only to have Heather point out to me that I had a huge dust mark going right across my blazer which I didn't notice! I ended up soaking myself in water, and then having to try dry myself in the sun (thank goodness there was sun!)
 
When we got to Eden Park we were one of the first groups there. Waitakere College students in their maroon blazers were sitting inside. There was one guy who looked slightly like Hurley from Lost, who Patrick kept having...issues...with...As more and more schools arrived, we began identifying them, checking them and their blazers out (let's face it they were ALL wearing blazers, except for maybe West City Christian School who were wearing polo t-shirts, but you know...west...) Fortunately we were in our blazers so we didn't stand out too much. Just imagine us in our normal school uniform there!
 
I was on the lookout for this girl from Mt Roskill Grammar, one of Diane's friends, who she told to look out for me as well. I caught glimpses of the MRGS group but didn't get round to randomly going over and say HI ARE ANY OF YOU CALLED KARMEN? OH HEY KARMEN I'M DIANE'S FRIEND...HI!!
 
Our principal Mr Moore joined us four and Mrs Taylor our dean and we all went into one of the function rooms to stand there and drink juice, until we were shepherded onto the seats outside for a huge group photo. When we got back inside, that's when we got the lunch!
 
Lunch was just salad, a bun and chicken with some ham rolled inside it. Dessert was this cake with jam and cream.
 
Patrick, Heather and I were discussing politics at the table, with Heather bagging Helen Clark, when it was announced our guest speaker had arrived. Who else, but Helen Clark! She gave a speech about taking opportunities, finding the right balance and stuff like that. After that representatives from each of the 80+ schools (there were over 400 students present) lined up alongside the stage to receive the awards from Helen Clark. For some reason I was chosen as the representative so I got to go up, shake Aunty Helen's hand and receive the package.
 
We spent no time after the awards ceremony was over in leaving and heading off to University of Auckland to watch the Software Design Competition prize-giving in which David was competing in. David came second, and won an Ipod as well as a $2000 scholarship for engineering! CONGRATULATIONS DAVID!!!!!!!!!!
 
We all celebrated with a [non-alcoholic] drink at the cafe (dean's shout) before leaving to go back home.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment