Friday 5 November 2010

Getting Those Fingers Moving

Now that uni's over for now, I really should start practising my musical instruments again! I never really practised the strings too much in between lessons, but I used to practise the piano accordion almost everyday since it was my main instrument! I don't think I've played the accordion since my cousin Jeremy and Asumi's wedding in February (oh and maybe once for church sometime..)!

One piece I came across last night that would be cool to try on the piano accordion is this: Etude Op. 10 No. 5 (Black Key Etude) by Chopin. It'd probably be much harder having to play all the bass on the accordion but it would be pretty interesting and maybe sound good!


I've also had several long-standing music-related goals that I'd really like to finally accomplish before I get too old, such as:

  • Sit and pass Grade 8 in music theory
  • Learn to play the guitar and piano
  • Conduct an orchestra
  • Compose some more music
OK last two are maybe out of my reach for now, but the first two are definitely high on my To-Do list! I've already started going through the Trinity Grade 8 Music Theory Workbook. The only difficulty for me is that I did music theory with ABRSM (many, many years ago!) up to grade 5, and so I'm not very accustomed to the Trinity syllabus. I'm considering purchasing the grade 6 and 7 workbooks to get me more up-to-speed, but I don't know how much I'm willing to spend on something I may not end up doing though! 

I suppose I should get a music theory teacher, but that's another added cost, so if you have done music theory up to grade 8 in either ABRSM or Trinity, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment