Saturday 11 September 2010

Shredded to Pieces

Today was the Management Consulting Club Business Case Competition Semi-Finals. Because our preparation time was to start at midday, I wasn't able to teach all my recorder classes and had to leave early, so I got Aonghas to take over halfway through.

I got there a little early, so I just did a bit of study before going up and joining the team. Once again we were taken to a small room, given our cases and three hours to discuss and prepare our presentation.

This time though the case was quite tricky! The case was on Al Capone, a famous American gang leader who made millions selling alcohol during the prohibition era in the USA. There was high tension between gangs and he  was worried for his safety. He was also spending a lot on bribing the cops and corrupt politicians.

We were having trouble coming up with a strategy for this case and ended up putting together something we weren't 100% confident on.

We didn't have as much time to practise either. By the time three hours was up, we went into the room to present our case. This time our judges were from respected firms like Deloitte!

Our presentation didn't go too badly. We finished just in time. However, question time was quite tough! The judges ripped into us! They didn't seem to agree with our strategy. I managed to answer one question this time though!

I wasn't able to stay to hear the results as I had to get back home to finish...or maybe start...my assignment that's due this coming Monday.

I later got a text message from Alice, my friend who got me into this, that sadly we didn't make the finals.

I feel a little bad that maybe I let the team down. I sure hope I didn't though!

It was a good experience doing something outside of pharmacy and away from science for once though!

No comments:

Post a Comment