Sunday 12 September 2010

Making it to the Next Stage

A week after our not-so-polished first go at presenting a practice case, this time was the real deal - the Management Consulting Club (MCC) Business Case Competition!

We had to be at uni early in the morning at 8.50am. I realised it wasn't as early as I first thought, so I caught a later bus but found myself bordering on being late! Fortunately I got there in time!

We were given our case and were then led to a room upstairs in the Business School to start working on the case for three hours.

This time our case focused on a Chinese brewery which had expanded rapidly in the last decade by purchasing over 40 subsidiaries in China. The subsidiaries weren't working together though and they had over 100 different brands. The issue was how to get these subsidiaries working together and more efficiently.

Once again I was the strategy person, who would be talking about why the issues were important and introducing and explaining our strategy. I managed to find time before our three hours was up to practise my bit and ensure I was under my allocated three minutes. In fact, I could recite my part in 2 minutes and 30 seconds!

After the three hours, it was time to present! This time our presentation went quite smoothly. We all didn't rely too much on our slides, and we finished under 10 minutes!

We got asked a few questions by the two judges. This time I didn't answer any as I didn't want to jeopardise the team's chances.



It looks like I didn't though, as we were called into the room about half an hour later to hear the results and get feedback, and guess what? Our team made it into the semifinals! There were four teams in our round and only one team would progress. They said they liked our presentation! 
The semifinals are going to take place this Saturday though, so I might have to get Aonghas to teach some of my classes for me! 


On my way to the bus, I caught up with my old high school friend Zahir, and as we walked through Albert Park we realised the fog/cloud was so thick we couldn't even see the Sky Tower!


He also took me to this kebab place where I tried a kebab and I have to say it tasted good!

No comments:

Post a Comment