Saturday 3 July 2010

Exploring Christchurch

I was excited about today, as my old high school friend and fellow head student Heather was going to take me around Christchurch, something I've really been wanting to do all week but never had a chance to do!

In the morning before she came, one of my Great Aunty Margaret and Uncle Rob's daughters came over and I got to meet her. She showed me some photos on the electronic photo frame of her with her parents on holiday.

Heather finally came over by about 11am and we jumped in her car and she drove us over to the Porthills. We stopped at a few places to check out some sights. There were some very good views, such as one of Lyttelton Harbour, and one of the city where you could see all the houses and buildings. It was pretty cool as you could see the clouds hanging low above the buildings and the mountains in the distance!

As we were driving along the hills and checking out the sights, Heather would tell me all about the geology of the land which was pretty cool! She's studying geology so she knows what she's talking about! 

It was slightly past midday, and so it was time for lunch! We went down to this posh beachside area where we parked and bought some fish and chips from the nearby takeaways. Something that I found interesting was when a loud siren sounded (it was the fire alarm apparently), some people ran down the street. I'm guessing they were volunteer firefighters!

Once we got our food, we went to the beachside where we just sat and ate for a while before walking along the beach. Since the sun was out and the weather was great, there were quite a few people at the beach and I even saw Aunty Jill's friend there too!

After the beach, Heather drove us into the city and found some free carparking. We got out and walked to Cathedral Square before deciding to head to the old University of Canterbury building where Sir Lord Rutherford's hut was housed. As former students of Rutherford College, it's sort of a ritual you've got to go through! 

We passed the art gallery which had a water fountain alongside one wall. According to Heather, you run your hand in the water along the wall in order to get good luck, so I had a go at that!

At the old University of Canterbury buildings there was a market going on which had all sorts of stalls selling food and a variety of other things. There was also this courtyard which archways which looked like something out of the Harry Potter movie! 

We went inside Sir Lord Rutherford's den which was quite interesting. There were all sorts of old machines in there, and there was even an old wooden lecture theatre!

The time was getting late and the fun had to end soon enough, so she took me home, where I found Uncle Rob outside putting something back up in the garage. I spent the evening loading videos on my laptop and watching TV with my great aunt and uncle!

No comments:

Post a Comment