Sunday 31 August 2008

Having a Ball

Last night was the Pharmacy Ball and I only sorted out my clothes an hour out from it! It wasn't too difficult. I just wore the same suit I wore for the KiwiAsian Club ball last year, so the total number of balls I've worn that navy blue pin-stripped suit to is now at TWO (let's see how many I can wear it to!).

I got to the ball a few minutes before it was due to start and caught up with James, a 2nd year pharmacy friend who had brought along two girls with him (go James!!). I think they're his neighbours! We just stood around in the foyer for a little while catching up with others who arrived. All the other second years came along not too long after. Once there were quite a few of us we all went up in the lift to level 3 of the Ellerslie Convention Centre where the ball was held. There were a few other dinners being held at the convention centre too, such as the Auckland Airport dinner and the Fonterra dinner.

When I got to the room there was Eliza, 1st year class rep calling out to me! I was the last 1st year pharmacy student to turn up (well...I'm sorta a 1st year I guess...). I went in and caught up with some of the first year students. The room the ball was held in was not too big. There were high tables around the place, a long table where all the food was, a poker table and roulette table at one end and a dance floor at the far end.

I thought I'd start off with dinner so I went over to the food table with this guy Asal (I think that's how you spell his name?) and this first year student Hans and we just ate before I decided I'd get a drink! We were given five $6 drink vouchers. I originally thought drinks would probably cost more than $6 and since I didn't bring any money with me I thought I wouldn't be able to use any of the vouchers, so I just went over to the bar and asked for water. They asked if I wanted a glass or a litre bottle, so I went with the litre bottle. I never knew how big it was! I ended up drinking from this bottle that looked a wine bottle...it had water in it though!!

I went over to watch some of the guys play blackjack, and then once that was over I joined Tony, another 2nd year pharmacy student to play Texas Hold'em poker along with all these other 2nd year students. I'd never played it before so I was just joking around while some seemed to be taking it pretty serious and putting on their best poker faces! I somehow tied the first game which was weird! From then on though it all went downhill and I was fast running out of chips. In what I thought would be my last move I put all my chips in, and fortunately I managed to get some more back! By then I was sick of the game though and let someone else take over from me.



Now it was time for the dancing! Most of the music seemed to be hip-hop which is music I don't understand how you can dance to! It's soooo sloooow! Where's the dance and the techno??? Like Ministry of Sound music!!! It got better towards the end of the night though. I did most of my dancing with the first years. Some of them were getting quite tipsy by the end of the night! I was quite content with my water!

I also caught up with the APSA (Auckland Pharmacy Students Association) exec who I ACCIDENTALLY kicked in the shin during a soccer game at the Freshers Camp earlier in the year. She asked me if I remembered her and showed me the mark that I left on her shin that's still there! I told her I felt bad everyday! She just told me not to do it again hahaha

It was soon midnight and I had to leave while the partying and dancing continued. My friends were taking a breath of fresh air outside when I had to leave. All in all though it was a great night! I was initially afraid I wouldn't have anyone to hang out with but heaps of people were really cool. I don't know what part alcohol plays but who cares what a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment