Monday 7 April 2008

Rowdy Kids

I had a terrible time teaching my students on Saturday morning. In one of my beginner classes I had a new girl join the other boys in the class. I was teaching them how to read music that day, but the girl and one of the boys told me they already knew and the boy kept moaning that it was too easy and BOOOOORRRRIINNNNNGGGG!!! So I gave them all a worksheet to do which got them to name the notes and told them I expected them to complete it very quickly. Once they claimed to be done, I went through it with them and turned out that the boy nearly got most of it wrong! Along with that he was one of the students making most of the noise! I'm going to have to get a little tougher next week!

Sometimes I feel more suited to being a music theory teacher than a practical music teacher as I enjoy teaching that sorta thing. I would really like to teach music theory with the hope of getting some students to sit the theory exam. So far the only theory student I've had that has sat an exam is my brother Aonghas, who got distinction (one out of one, not too bad!), but it's probably more due to him having learnt a lot of music already than to me teaching him theory.

I've been doing my best this weekend to try study as much as I can but you know me, being the sorta person to get easily distracted at home! I went to the library today after church to study and caught up with Nick and had a half hour discussion on democracy in America which was really interesting. He definitely is studying the right thing! He used to be pro-American but has done a bit of a u-turn after doing a bit of reading into various sources.

On other things, while I prefer Daylight Saving, thank goodness for the extra hour of sleep last night! I was expecting to wake up at the wrong time in the morning but I ended up waking up at the same time so that extra hour of sleep must have really been worth it!

We've also been stuck on dial-up speed internet for over a week now and I have to say it feels like we're back in last century! I think the culprit who used all our data allowance was our dad! Ever since we bought him an Ipod he's been downloading heaps and heaps of podcasts on various things such as language lessons and science broadcasts! I ended up purchasing the premium internet plan at uni because I just couldn't keep going at dial-up speed both at home and at uni!

Anyway it's the start of a stressful week, with three tests coming up! After that will finally be the extremely short holidays, but even so I still can't wait! I can then use the spare time to work on two more assignments and study for some more tests!! But for now...gotta focus on those three tests..


No comments:

Post a Comment