Monday 30 August 2010

An EPIC Race

Today was our Dessert Club's annual Amazing Race competition, only this time it was renamed the EPIC Race!
It was originally going to be held on Saturday but got postponed.

I hadn't been able to attend the meeting the day before to finalise everything, so when I got in to the city in the morning I didn't really know what was going on. I was asked to go down to the Britomart Train Station to stick clues under seats.

When I got there, I realised the seats by the cafe where they wanted me to stick clues was quite exposed! I tried asking one of the cafe staff members, who initially said it was fine. When I started though he thought maybe...it wouldn't be such a great idea, seeing as there would be heaps of customers during lunch time.

I then went over to ask the security guard supervisor if it was OK for me to hide clues around Britomart, and he radioed head office to ask, but they said no. He then went on to give me alternative ideas, such as having someone handing out clues themselves at Britomart. He was really friendly!

I tried calling the other committee members and they asked me to stay down in Britomart to hand out the clues. So....I spent the next couple of hours wandering around Britomart, looking up at the electronic timetables, reading timetables, watching TV...It was all really boring, especially since the first team didn't arrive till an hour later and I just happened to be sitting outside the main entrance.

They seemed quite annoyed! I think they had spent a long, long time looking all around Britomart for me! They quickly got over it after I told them they were the first team to arrive though!

I was down near the platform when the second team found me. One guy approached me and asked

'Hey sorry this is a bit random but are you from the Dessert Club?'


I had to go off to my research dissertation project meeting at around midday, and after went back to my EPIC Race duties at Britomart.



I sat there for ages doing nothing. I was thinking that this must've been the most boring station! I eventually  received a text from the club president telling me some teams were finding it hard to find me! I told her I was right by the entrance!

It was not long before one team came over and asked if I was from the Dessert Club. When I said yes, I got a big

'FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF#$*K!!!!'


They had spent over an hour looking for me! Another team nearby saw and came over as well.

I didn't see any other team come by for the next two hours! By 5pm all teams were told to return to Level 0 of the Information Commons. When I got there, it turned out only four teams arrived back! No team had completed all the challenges either! We awarded the prizes and finished with some fish and chips.

Talk about an EPIC race!

No comments:

Post a Comment