Tuesday 31 January 2006

Harbour Festival Fun

I went to the Auckland Harbour Festival yesterday to check out the free Auckland Philharmonic Orchestra performance at the Viaduct Basin. My mum, Aonghas and I travelled into the city by train, the first time I've ever been on a train in New Zealand! (I've been on one in Hong Kong but surprisingly not in New Zealand!) WOW it was fun though! Going under tunnels was pretty cool, especially arriving at the Britomart Transport Centre!
 
We arrived at the Viaduct Basin a few minutes after the concert was meant to have started. Not much activity was going on yet though so fortunately we weren't that late! Most of the music played are well known orchestral pieces like Trumpet Voluntary, and Water Music. The concert lasted for three hours with the audience made up mainly of older people and Asians! The concert was great! The only downside was that there was no shelter for us and so I got a bit sunburnt!
 
We spent the rest of the afternoon watching street buskers who came from various overseas places such as Australia and England. They were really entertaining. Some of the acts included riding a unicycle with one foot while flinging a rubber fish with the other foot into a fishbowl on top of the head, balancing a glass of water on the head while juggling three batons on top of a unicycle, and juggling a sword, a flaming baton and a tomato while standing on top of a bicycle upon an approx. 3m high pole.
 
I really enjoyed the Auckland Harbour Festival and I sure hope it becomes a permanent fixture! Apparently the fireworks on Sunday night were the biggest ever seen in New Zealand. Too bad I missed them!

No comments:

Post a Comment