Monday 29 March 2010

Frantic Sales

Yesterday I finally attended my very first Dessert Club event of the year! OK well....I almost did! The Dessert Club was running their 'Movie Day' from 10-3pm, selling some cakes together with entry to the two movies. I promised that I would be there towards the end of the event to help with the clean-up since I had church in the morning.

As soon as Sunday School finished, my mum dropped Aonghas off at work and me at the bus stop. I realised I was at the bus stop half an hour early! While I was waiting for the bus I ate my lunch and got fooled by *someone* texting as someone else!

I soon got into the city and before I went to the business school where the Movie Day was being held, I dropped by the public library to look for some music before going on to the Dessert Club event.

I got there just as it finished! One of the club members who came out of the lecture theatre and heard me apologise for being late laughed at me, thinking I had arrived to attend the event!

The turnout turned out to be not so great so we had a whole lot of cakes left with a huge possible loss. After sitting there in the foyer thinking about what to do, we decided we'd try sell as many as we could, so we headed off to the Information Commons and walked to each table at the bottom level, asking everyone if they wanted to buy any. We had chocolate swirls and green tea swirls, as well as custard puffs. I was surprised at how popular the green tea swirls were, especially amongst Asians!

We managed to sell a box by the end of the day, before we decided to call it a night and pack the boxes away in one of the guys' cars before we all left for home.

That night I was asked to text half the club members to let them know we would be selling cheap cakes at uni since it was such short notice. I was doing it through the computer so it didn't take me as long as it would on the phone, but I still ended up texting till after 1.30am! I got a few interesting replies such as

"You're very dedicated sending txts at midnight"

and

"It must be fun sending spam txts at 1am"

I admit it's not the best thing to do, sending texts after midnight!

I joined the Dessert Club members at their makeshift stall at the bottom level of the Information Commons after my lecture today to help them sell the rest of the cakes. We didn't know if we would be in competition with any of the cafes so we tried to keep our cake sale as low key as possible. I wasn't even sure if it was possible to sell them all, but we were selling two for one after all, and surprisingly people must've checked their phones, as we managed to sell out before 4pm as we had hoped!

In the end we managed to save the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment