Sunday 15 March 2009

Watching Watchmen

Uni has made me forget about blogging for a little while but I'll try resume it now that I'm not really doing anything productive. So everything's going to be everywhere, but that's OK I'll just with the night I went to see Watchmen...

Because it was Claire, one of our youth group member's birthdays, we decided we'd just go out on the Saturday (last week) following that youth group to watch Watchmen and then have dinner afterwards. We struck a bit of a problem though - the movie is R16, and we had a few people who weren't 16 yet! We settled on an alternative movie for them - Slumdog Millionaire. The next problem - there were a couple who weren't over 13, as Slumdog has an R13 rating! Solution - they can come have dinner with us!

Unfortunately Aonghas had to work that evening so he could only make it to dinner. Hamish and I joined Lisa and Claire, the only other two in our youth group who were R18, along with On and Fiona, the married couple who are two of our youth group leaders, to watch Watchmen at Westgate.

I watched Watchmen not having any previous knowledge of what the graphic novel was like or what the story was all about, and so I didn't really have expectations, except maybe that it'd be a bit graphic because of it's R16 rating! I thought it might just have some tame sex scene, but didn't realise it would have a full blown nude sex scene, or even some blue guy who walks around with his penis hanging out! Now this was the first time I ever watched a sex scene of any sort at the cinemas (not surprising when you consider some of the only movies I've ever watched at the cinemas to be Pokemon, Lord of the Rings and Benjamin Button!). What made it even awkward was that I was sitting next to On, my youth group leader (and a guy!) as it happened! But being the mature people we were (and everyone else in the cinema besides that crying baby) it was no big deal.

The movie was also pretty gruelsome. I still haven't decided which of the numerous murder/bludgeoning scenes was the best but believe me there were quite a few and they were quite gory!

Speaking of that baby, I first thought the baby crying noise was part of the movie! There was a scene where this person was about to lift a plastic sheet off something, when a baby started crying and I thought maybe there was a baby hidden under a sheet! I soon came to realise it was from an actual baby in the theatre!

After the movie we joined the others who had already finished watching Slumdog Millionaire. Acccording to them Slumdog Millionaire was 'life-changing'. That's what they said about Wall-E too! Wall-E is higher up the 'life-changing' scale however.

Anyway, we decided to have dinner at this Japanese restaurant at the other side of the carpark. Sadly for me because I have another six weeks till I can eat solids again, I didn't think I'd be able to eat anything, so I thought I'd just wait till Aonghas arrived with the food my mum had prepared. On insisted I buy something though, so I ended up just buying a bowl of noodles. Aonghas soon arrived after having to make three separate trips to pick up three other people (I offered a ride to one of them who had texted me, thinking Aonghas would be nearby, not realising he had almost arrived at Westgate!)

It was pretty cool having dinner with the group. I was quite slow at eating because of my jaw, and so I took my time while taking photos of the others. We also broke into song (Happy Birthday!) when Claire got back from ordering some more food.

When it hit 9.30, the Japanese waitress came over and told us our time was up. I didn't even realise there was a limit! I hadn't finished my noodles by then and so I poured it all into a container I had in the bag my mum gave me and took it away with me. I wasn't going to waste my money!!

We took home Jenny, this other girl in our youth group and that concluded our night out with the youth group!


No comments:

Post a Comment