Wednesday 12 March 2008

Setting up Stall

Monday marked the first day of my experiment to see what would help me stay awake the best in class. That day I tried coffee-flavoured wafer sticks. I had two before my first lecture and two before my three hour lecture! Actually I was just unwrapping one while walking up to Grafton early in the morning when I came across Angie!

Well it turns out I stayed awake in three out of four of my lectures (if you count my three hour lecture as three lectures!). Not too bad, a slight improvement there! In one of my lectures the lecturer Roger Booth, who was teaching us about immunology...or something...sang us a song about it! He's really good at coming up with these songs! He sang a song about stress to the tune of this Westside Story song in one of my lectures last year!

We also learnt about these different pathogens, and I have to say I never realised just how bad meningitis could be, just as well that I'm already taking the necessary precautions to prevent getting it!!

I was to help the Dessert Club stall once I finished all my classes at 1pm, and so I went and met up with a couple of the execs who were sitting there at the time. Once I arrived though they had to go off to their classes, so it was me manning the stall by myself for a while!

A few of my friends passed by but I couldn't persuade them to join the Dessert Club though! Kevin, my health science friend hung out with me to keep me company for a while. Kat and Melissa, two Kiwi Asian Club stalwarts (Kat's even an exec of that club!) came by to see what I was doing at the Dessert Club stall. We ended up having a little debate which went something a little like this...

"You guys wanna join the Dessert Club?"
"Oh...nah...we joined last year but we didn't do anything with the club"
"It's only $3 for returning members...I paid $5 to rejoin the Kiwi Asian Club! We're cheaper than you guys!!...but not cheap in quality of course!!"
"Oh watever, that's because we have more events!!"
"Well check out some of our events! We've got The Amazing Race..."
"You guys stole that from us!!! We had that first!!"
"Well you guys don't have ice-cream eating competitions!"

I couldn't convince them to join though! Amy, the president of the club told me she'd come by to close up the stall with me in a little while, but I ended up sitting there at the stall for a couple hours right up till 5pm! During that time I did have one girl who really wanted to get membership number 444, just because her friend got 333 and also the number 4 is bad luck for Chinese people :S Apparently she's been coming by the stall everyday, so she's well-known to the other club execs! She stood around the stall eating nearly all the free lollies while criticising Craccum, the student magazine!

Chen soon came along and we waited for the Boss to come along so I could shut up shop, which wasn't too far from then. Chen and I then walked to the bus stop and caught the next bus. Phoebe happened to catch the same bus as us and tapped me on the shoulder to say hi, but she went further down the bus to sit by herself. I asked her if she wanted to come join us, as we were sitting on those seats with two other empty seats facing us, but she said it was fine. Oh OK!

Today I came late to my lecture and ended up sitting on the ground in the middle of the aisle. Yes I know...safety hazard! I didn't have enough time to drink the Chinese tea that my mum had made me though, but nonetheless I didn't fall asleep!

After class I went to help look after the Dessert Club stall again for a couple hours. It turns out I'm actually in the Dessert Club committee now! Something to put on my CV haha. I probably really should find one of those serious clubs to get involved with too. I've joined the Debating Club though. Maybe that can be it! Anyway there weren't that many people who came to sign up while I was there. Chen came over to sit with me and talk for a while before we both had to go to class at midday.

I had a lab over in Grafton where we played with some bacteria and other fun things like that. When I got back into the city I bought some chips from one of the uni food shops. I asked for $2 chips, but the lady must've heard two cups of chips, so she served me two cups of chips! I just went along with it and bought both of them. I caught up with Shrikkanth, David, Jonathan and some of their other engineering friends before they had to go off to their lab. A few steps away and I caught up with Sarena who was waiting for Amy! Amy came over soon and we just talked for a while. Once they left I was going to catch the bus with Chen, and so I was waiting for him to text me. Twenty minutes later and no text...so I texted him and he replied, telling me he was already on the bus with his friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment