Monday 10 March 2008

Making the Most of Life

About Schmidt is quite a moving movie, and I found it to depict exactly what I fear my life will end up like if I don't make the most of it right now!

A quick summary from IMDB.com:

'Warren Schmidt is forced to deal with an ambiguous future as he enters retirement. Soon after, his wife passes away and he must come to terms with his daughter's marriage to a man he does not care for and the failure that his life has become'

He finds that he has not made a difference to anyone or anything in the world. His life has been so insignificant and pretty much a failure. A few of the more meaningful quotes from the movie:

'I know we're all pretty small in the big scheme of things, and I suppose the most you can hope for is to make some kind of difference, but what kind of difference have I made, what in the world is better because of me?'

'Relatively soon, I will die. Maybe in 20 years, maybe tomorrow, it doesn't matter. Once I am dead and everyone who knew me dies too, it will be as though I never existed. What difference has my life made to anyone. None that I can think of. None at all.'

That brings us to the purpose of our lives. What really is it? I've always thought that my purpose in life is to make a difference in this world before I pass away so that I haven't lived for nothing. I know I've still got many years left in me, but you've only really got a certain amount of time before you reach that age when you become too old and ineffective to do anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment