Monday 26 January 2009

Thanks a lot Mr Crazy Gunman!

I had my STATS test on Friday and so I got Aonghas to take me to uni and he could sort out his timetable at the same time. On our way to the city we noticed four police cars, including two mufti cars, shooting in the opposite direction. At the time we thought it was quite unusual to see four police cars going by! We didn't think much of it at the time though.

I went in for my test which didn't seem too bad. It was all multi-choice and was pretty much the same format as the practice papers.

When I came out, Aonghas wanted to visit some people at the Science Forum thing that was on at O' Rourke Hall (he attended it last year) so while he went to get the car I went on the uni computers and read of the shooting/car hijacking that took place on the North-Western Motorway! 21 police cars and a police helicopter were after this guy!

So Aonghas drove us to O' Rourke Hall and parked in a carpark without having paid for it. He said he'd only be gone for about five minutes, so I waited for him in the driver's seat just in case a parking warden came by. Guess what? One did come along! I quickly started the car and got it going. I turned the corner and got stuck in traffic. I was too scared to change lanes because there were so many cars around and I wasn't used to driving in the city so I just stuck to the lane I was in. Well I ended up driving all the way to Mt Eden! I was texting Aonghas along the way (don't worry I wasn't moving that fast...I was stuck in traffic for most of the time!) asking him for help and telling him to hurry up. I finally managed to find a side street to turn into and was about to turn onto the main street and head back into the city when I saw Aonghas running down the road! He had run all the way from the city to Mt Eden! It's just lucky we met up!

What ensued was an extremely long ride home, thanks to the motorway being closed off both ways which caused traffic chaos!! The on-ramps were blocked off by police cars and there was a helicopter hovering over the closed-off motorway.

Aonghas and I were listening to Newstalk ZB while waiting in the car, anxiously waiting to hear the latest news. I had read earlier on the internet that a man had been taken into custody and that one man was shot. That's when I feared worst, that an innocent man had been shot dead. I also noticed how the police emphasised the fact they could not confirm who shot the man. That's when I also feared the police had accidentally shot the innocent man. It turns out an innocent man was accidentally shot dead by police!

Well Aonghas and I managed to get all the way to Western Springs when we heard that west-bound lanes had reopened so we got on the motorway. The motorway was relatively clear since it only just reopened, so it was a quick trip home from that point.

Fortunately we made it home just in time to get ready to go to church for a combined Fellowship BBQ and games night. We grabbed the food our mum cooked and went off to church where we started off with the food. We ate, talked and played hacky-sack with a samosa for a little while before going to play some games.

The first game was where we got in groups of ten and had to tie our legs together and run from one end of the hall to the other to write Chinese characters, and keep doing it until we completed the sentence. The more people we had legs tied together to, the more points we'd get for the character we wrote. Yeah I'm probably making it sound a bit more complicated than it really is! We also played a game where the person in charge called out a list of stuff we had to give them. The first team to give them all the stuff they called out won. That was a bit of a weird game...

No comments:

Post a Comment