Thursday 28 January 2010

On the Job Hunt

New Years Resolution #6: Get a part-time job, preferably pharmacy-related

I finally got a reply regarding the Maidment Theatre (the theatre at University of Auckland) ticketing person job that I applied for back in December. Apparently there were a lot of 'excellent' applicants that they couldn't offer me an interview. What a shame I wasn't as excellent as them!

Anyway around the same time I received that reply, I noticed a job advertisement on Student Job Search looking for 'Student Ambassadors' for University of Auckland. These would be the people you see stationed around the university campus during Orientation Week with the 'ASK ME' t-shirts, offering directions and advice to students. I never knew those people got paid! I always thought it was a volunteer job, sort of like the Uniguides (which I did last year). 

So I rang up Student Job Search to ask about the job, and the man on the phone asked me a few questions, such as one example of providing excellent customer service was. After I talked about trying to convince people that pharmacy was not just a retail job at the university Courses and Careers Day, he gave me the contact details of the woman in charge of the Student Ambassadors programme.

I emailed her and she requested an interview on the Monday after that weekend, without giving a time or location! I replied during the weekend but hadn't received a reply by Monday, so I tried ringing her on Monday morning to no avail. I tried one last time though and she answered! 

I managed to make it to the afternoon interview, not realising it was going to be a group interview! There were about 10-12 of us in the executive room in the Clock Tower. The lady interviewing us sat on one side of the really long table while we sat facing her on the opposite side.

She asked us questions and we each answered one after the other. I have to say I feel a little uncomfortable with group interviews sometimes, as I'm not one who likes to boast in front of others! If it was a one-on-one interview, I'd just say almost anything to make myself look good! Anyway I tried to make myself sound good without sounding too up-myself! There were a few others who kept going on and on and on...which made me wonder if I should have said more!

The final question was 

"Have you ever asked a Student Ambassador for help, and how did you find the experience?"

Quite a few gave glowing reviews of their experiences with the Student Ambassadors, while I stupidly replied

"I haven't used them before, but I've seen them around uni from time to time and they have pretty cool t-shirts!"

That's not exactly the best answer to give! Fortunately she just laughed and said Student Ambassadors would be getting new t-shirts this year.

Anyway I got an email a week later informing me that I got the job! It probably shouldn't have been too surprising since there are 150 positions. The job only lasts for one to two weeks though, so I should really look for a proper, more long-term job!

If you're attending University of Auckland's Orientation Week, be sure to look out for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment