Monday 25 January 2010

Hitting the Big Two One


I have mixed feelings when it comes to birthdays. While you do feel slightly more special and get to find out which of your friends actually too the time to wish you a Happy Birthday, you also start to feel old and wonder where all the time went!

I can't believe I'm 21 now, well and truly a [young] adult! I've been thinking about this quite a bit already before I hit 21, but reaching that milestone age has sort of reinforced the feelings. I've been thinking about all the things I've yet to experience at the age of 21 that many others have already! I won't go into them all! I've also been thinking about what I've achieved, where I am right now and where I am going...I won't go too much into it right now but let's just say it's a little murky!

Anyway, back to my birthday. Once again I was hoping to do something with some people but in the end I had nothing planned by the time my birthday came around. What started as a bit of a tradition with Hamish's birthday last year where the two other brothers buy lunch for the birthday brother continued. While both my parents were out, my brothers and I were going to take me out to lunch at some fast food restaurant. 

It didn't start off as planned, with the rain falling pretty heavily in the morning which meant we were stuck inside. Once the rain stopped temporarily, it gave us time to quickly go out and deliver the papers, before finally going out for lunch at about 2pm! We ended up going to Wendy's for lunch, since everyone knows Wendy's is the shizznet! Unsurprisingly, Wendy's was good!
 


I spent the rest of my birthday afternoon just shopping around looking for materials for our church youth group's board that we'd be decorating at youth group the next evening. We came up with a Fridge door design for the board, and so we were shopping for fridge magnets, a fridge door handle and other stuff you usually find on a fridge door. What a great way to spend a 21st birthday...

The following day though we had 'unofficial' youth group in the evening, since youth group would start up properly for the year on the following week. Aonghas and I came up with an idea to go out to KFC with the Chin sisters (the girls from our youth group) and Grace for dinner before youth group, and then go to youth group from there. It could both be a way to celebrate my birthday, as well as being our turn to host the others for dinner (since we went to the Chins' for dinner, then to Grace's house for a BBQ...we could just consider KFC as our house since our house is such a dump no one is allowed in!).

I had to buy a few more materials for the board before I could meet up with them, and so Aonghas and Hamish went to KFC while I went shopping with my mum. We were meant to meet up at quarter to five, but I only got there by quarter past six! They were already seated, and Cleo had already got in the queue since it was so long! We decided to order one of the family packs, and Aonghas and I paid for it. 
 

Dinner was pretty good, we all got enough food (I hope) and it was good hanging out with the brothers and the girls again. It was the first time I had had KFC in maybe a year or so as well so that was an extra bonus! 
 

After the meal, Aonghas took Claire back in the car while the rest of us walked over to church for youth group. There weren't too many people there, just us, Jenny, Brendan, Robert and Antonia! While Brendan and Robert hung out together, Grace, Jenny, Antonia and I hung around the board talking while playing around with it, while Aonghas mucked around with his laptop with the Chin sisters. 

We finished the night watching a video Aonghas created that was a summary of everything the youth group done in 2009 - a year in review! They're going to play it again at youth group again next week since not too many people got to watch it that night.

And so that was pretty much how I spent my 21st birthday! In terms of presents, I didn't really get much again this year! I did get one present though, which is one more than last year - Grace gave me a large 21st glass! It was so cool and nice of her. I've already thanked her but I really appreciate the thought! She gave it to me a week before my birthday but I resisted the urge to unwrap the present, just so that I could have something to get excited about on my birthday! I'm going to put it somewhere, or maybe I'll actually drink out of it and think of her every time I do! haha

While I didn't get too many presents, I did get quite a few birthday wishes from people (thanks in large part to Facebook!), and a few emails from a few of my friends which were really touching. They may only be emails and words, but they mean so much more when they remind you of how you've actually made a difference and mean something to someone out there! So thanks Hyun, Joon, Alice and Yan Yan for the emails! 

Also thanks to: 
Joohee, Joon, Mimi, Angel, Diane, Kelvin, Jacky, Chloe L, Ziheng, Alex S, Ji Eun, Julie Ho, Tyler, Andromeda, Anuprita, Mandy W, John Luong, Pita, Liam S, Himesh, Kunsala, Mischa, Melissa C, Jacqueline, Mary Gubb, Jamie Murray, Hana, Hyun, Navya, Stephanie T, Wasif, Chen, Jade, Shen, Lina, Grace, Ayesha V, Hannah, Jane, Cecilia, Edwin, Elena, Jason H, Julia S, Ayesha A, James Z, Mena, Yan Yan, Johnny Wu, Belinda R, Phoebe, Frank, Lun Shen, Mubashra, Timothy, Carmen, Neha, Bevin, Grace L, Troy, Esther, Lucy W, Rhea, Eddie, Jenna, Ai Ping, Anisha, Patrick, Bliss, Michael Y, Teresa, John K, Lydia, Timothy S, Estee, Shelley, Chung On, Claire G, Ashleigh, Emily, Natasha, Fiona, Sarena, Alex D, Grammy, Jamie, Yerin, Asal, Ben W, George, Harley, Chae-Leen, Young-Bin, Grainam, Winston, Disha, Nadine T, Janey, Grace, Alex S, Zahir K, Himesh, Gwen, Janice, Cleo, Angie, Alice, Hyun, Joon, Yan Yan, Cookie Bear, Windows Live, Hussein and Diane

Hopefully I've thanked you all personally and haven't missed anyone out! Roll on my 21st year, hopefully it's a year to remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment