Wednesday 21 February 2007

Wonders of Technology

While chatting to Hyun, I thought I'd give something a try - giving him a video call. Amazingly it worked! Unfortunately Hyun doesn't have a webcam over there so while the voice conversation was two-way, they could only see me.

It was good hearing their voices after a couple months! They sound healthy! They've also got new cellphones too. I tried sending them a text last night, but I got a text message back from Vodafone the first time saying:

"Sorry your mobile phone has been barred"

So I tried texting a friend in Auckland just to make sure I could still use my phone, and I didn't get that message again so that's good! Although my phone sent her the same text message three times and woke her up! I tried sending them another text message this time with the country code and didn't get that message back so fingers crossed my text message got sent to them!

I've decided to not wait to get a new phone and just buy a new sim card so when I sign up to stuff I can give them some sort of mobile number to them. After picking Aonghas up from basketball practice after school, we rushed down to Dick Smith to check out the phone numbers, but none of them are particularly that easy to memorise, so I might wait till tomorrow.

If my mum had a cellphone that would be useful! Today was Rutherford College's athletics day at Trusts Stadium, and I had planned on going down there to visit my good old prefect friends (stalking them again! :D) who had to attend, as well as do some filming for Aonghas. My mum told me she was just going out to buy some fish and bread at about 11am. Two hours later, I got a text from Gwen asking me if I was still coming, but my mum hadn't come back! Three hours later, and the time was 3pm. My mum pulled her car into the carpark, and I came out asking her where she had been and that I had wanted to go to athletics sometime round midday! She then asked me if I wanted to go...when school had already finished! So yeah I'm really gutted about that! It was one of my last opportunities to visit those guys before I have to start university next week! I finish university by midday on Fridays though, so I might pop by during lunch sometime and say hi to them again!

My conversation with Hyun and Joon did make me think a bit about certain things. It kinda made me realise that sometimes you've got to take a step back and gain some perspective! I've come to question whether some things I'm doing are worth it, and if I'm just too blinded by things to notice a hidden agenda. Then again it ain't good to be cynical and mean-spirited, so instead of standing still and sometimes drifting backwards I'm going to move forward! Onwards and upwards with life and technology! (No this last paragraph probably does not make any sense at all...)

No comments:

Post a Comment