Monday 22 December 2008

Spreading the Christmas Joy!

The past few days have all been about carolling, music practice and shopping!

A couple Saturday's ago a group of us from our church went round Waitakere Hospital singing carols to patients. Well this past Saturday, we went to the local Tofu Shop to sing outside! There was a smaller group who showed up this time round, no surprises there. Apparently...yes 'apparently' many of them had to work that day and a few of them went back to China. OK those people can be excused!

At first it was a little embarrassing. Aonghas and I were accompanying the singers by playing the accordion since they had no one else playing music. We were standing in the back which wasn't as bad. Over time though the carol singing wasn't too bad and the shame went away! During the five minute break a guy from my youth group and I even played a few random carols to see how much money we could scab off passing shoppers! Total...zilch...

After the break we took a walk down the road past all the shops to the other Chinese grocery store. Aonghas and I just kept repeating Joy to the World as we walked! It was a lot busier at this Chinese grocery store, and I even saw a guy I recognised from university walk by with his mum! I tried to turn away so he wouldn't see me ;)

The carol singing wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and while there were a few people who looked at us and were probably smiling for the wrong reasons, there were also those who enjoyed our singing which made it worthwhile!

On the subject of carollers, the other night I was on the computer when I heard a horn outside playing carols! I looked through the window and saw about twenty people with santa hats outside the neighbours' front door singing carols! I went outside to watch and listen, and when they stopped they started talking. I managed to catch

"We haven't made much money!"

They then all disappeared inside our neighbours' house! If they had come to our house I would've given them some money!

Our youth group are doing the Secret Santa thing which meant we drew someone's name out of a hat and had to buy a present for them. It'd all be anonymous too...well for a little time anyway! Our budget was set at $20 and we had to buy the present by yesterday. It was Saturday night and we still had nothing! Thank goodness for shops opening till midnight!

We were looking around West City until it closed at 10pm. At that time we were forced to go into The Warehouse, which was open till midnight. We ended up going to Kmart to have a look. I found a gift for my person, while Aonghas and Hamish were still looking. We went back to The Warehouse to have a look.

That's where I saw a reindeer costume for $10!! I want to get it just in case I may need it some time in the future!

Anyway Aonghas bought his present before we decided we'd go back to Kmart to have a look again. By then it was 11.40pm. We tried to enter when we were turned away by the girl at the entrance who told us they were about to close! They had been advertising that they were closing at midnight!!! I suppose everyone needs sleep...We got Hamish's gift the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment