Saturday 13 December 2008

Helping with Interviews

Pharmacy interviews began this week and because I had nothing to do, I decided to help out! I originally put down my name for all three days, both morning and afternoon sessions. A week before though I thought that maybe two days will be enough so I pulled out of the last day.

I wasn't sure what to expect, except that this might be a good chance to meet some new people. At least that part was right. There were quite a few interesting people from as far as Rotorua, Wellington and Christchurch! My job was to chat to the students waiting in the foyer for their interviews, to calm them down, relax them, and then take them to their right interview room! The helpers I was with were mostly first years, fortunately people I knew which was cool!

We started off assigning one interview room to each person - we would take students to that particular interview room. As the day wore on though I ended up spending more and more time just hanging in the foyer chatting up the girls...and guys...

Most of the students who had interviews on the first day were students who had just completed their first year at uni. Sadly most of them were biomed students, and even sadder was the fact that many of them had medicine interviews and were just treating the pharmacy interview as practice! How dare them!!

There were one or two school leavers on the first day who we thought must've had a special reason for having their interview so early (as usually school leavers have their interviews in January!). One of those people was Grammy, this girl who used to learn the violin with us till she found another teacher and has become heaps better!

The afternoon session on the second day though was full of school leavers so they must've run out of students to interview for alternative admissions! The second day wasn't as bright and fun as the first day wihch could be attributed to several possible reasons - different helpers, the weather was miserable on the second day, or the school leavers were a lot more tense and not as talkative!

There were quite a few familiar faces who came by too. Chen for one had his interview in the morning of the second day. Not too long after my intermediate school friend Lance rang me asking me to help him get to the Pharmacy School for his interview! Later in the day this girl asked me if I was Szelin's neighbour, and then told me she was her friend from St Doms! This other girl also asked me if I was Aonghas's brother, as she went to this science camp with him eariler this year and I looked like him!

The most memorable moment must've been on Monday, the first day, when we were waiting for this person to arrive for his/her interview at about 10.50am. This guy came in at about 11am and we assumed he was that person and told him he was a little late and sent him to the interview room. A little while later he was sent out and we were told there was a bit of a mix-up! He was supposed to have his interview at about 11.30am. He had a very similar name to the 10.50am girl! He told us his interview started off along the lines of

"So you play badminton?"

"Noo........"


So that guy was lucky and got an interview and a half!

Another memorable moment was when I took this girl to her interview room and she asked me if I used to Rutherford College as she just finished school there! Rutherford represent!!!!

So my pharmacy pride started to shine and grow thanks to those past two days. That's the REAL reason why I wanted to help out of course...oh and also because of the really nice morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea we were provided! Niiiiiiiiiice.....

No comments:

Post a Comment