Tuesday 1 July 2008

Ways to Spend Your Time

The holidays have just started and already I've nothing to do, but hey I'm not complaining! After twelve weeks of constant uni, boring is just what I need! I've started listening to Scarlatti sonatas as I need to find a baroque piece to play on the accordion...oh and a lyrical piece! That's a real problem for me. I have difficulty finding lyrical pieces that I'd like to play as I'd rather play rough and faster music! (maybe it requires less skill or something..)

The Piano Accordion Coupe Mondiale (world champs) is coming to Auckland next year and my teacher asked me if I wanted to compete and I told him I might as well, seeing as this may be my only chance to compete in a world championship in anything, and the cheapest opportunity to do so! It means I'd have to perform a 15-20 minute programme of music consisting of at least a Baroque piece, a lyrical piece, and some technical show-off piece (I think). I'm sorta slightly more motivated to practise more now, as I'll be up against all these hard-out musicians who practise over ten hours per day while up till now I'd only be doing at most one hour a day! I don't want to embarrass myself again and come last out of everyone, including the other New Zealanders who enter next year though, so once I find some pieces to play, my accordion practising will increase! At least more than before anyway!

As for Aonghas and his quest to get an orchestra ready for the KBB Schools Orchestra and Band Festival, he's finally been given the go-ahead by the music teacher. The thing is that entries close this Friday, so he's really only got tomorrow and Wednesday to get as many people on board as he can! It looks like the brass section will be thin once again. Why oh why couldn't there be more brass players?! Especially people who play in the bass clef. That's what the school orchestra would really lack. No bassoons, trombones, cellos, double-basses. That's been the case with every school orchestra I've ever played in. The piano has to fill in for all the missing parts! Oh well any orchestra would be better than no orchestra in Aonghas's case though. He just needs more than 24 people for the orchestra to be allowed to perform in the Main Hall! (You can probably tell how keen I am for them to get an orchestra together, so I will stop going on about it now! Aonghas has probably gotten sick of me too!).

That's probably what happens when you get too bored...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment