Saturday 12 February 2005

End of the Week

First week of school is over, and nothing spectacular has happened so far. Oh yeah…today some car/jeep or some sort of motor vehicle from the radio station Flava FM came to our school during interval, with their boot open and all the sound systems inside letting out all the ‘beats’. Probably all just a publicity stunt. I’m not really into hip-hop or R&B. I don’t mind some, but most of it is endless garble to me. I’m more into music that actually has a tune to it.

There was an SOS call out today for anyone who wanted to join the debating team, after only having heard that today was the closing date to enter teams into the competition. Hyun, Joon and I re-entered again this year, and added Kaylee’s name to the team just in case she wanted to be a part of it. Last year the four of us (with the help of Norma) entered as the ‘Rutherford Keas’ and although we won our first debate against Diocesan (yes the rich private school!!), we won two other debates by default and forfeited another. We didn’t get past the preliminary rounds. Our first debate is on the 1st March and the moot is
“That cloning is good”

My favourite position is first speaker, not because it is the easiest (remember first speaker has to give two speeches plus open and close the team’s argument – very important!), but because it’s fun (couldn’t really remember why now – I first started off as first speaker and enjoyed it so much I’ve never spoken in any other position) What was interesting in last year’s debate was that I tabled some documents, and referred to them throughout my debate speech, however the opposing team had no idea they had the right to read through them, so I could basically make anything up! I doubt the teams we will come up against this year will be that ignorant though.

I was told by someone at school today that universities don’t exactly like it if you take all three sciences (biology, chemistry and physics) and look to see if you’ve widened your horizons like having taken an arts subject or something like that. If that is the case, I’m screwed once again! I’m going round and round in circles without the faintest idea about what I should be studying or what I’m aiming for. I NEED HELP!

This weekend marks the beginning of accordion lessons for this year – I haven’t practised much in the last eight weeks so my teacher will be very disappointed! Fingers crossed I’ll bluff my way through the lesson n fool him.

No comments:

Post a Comment