Monday 7 February 2005

Catch-Up

I haven’t posted much regularly ever since school started, so I’ll try make up for it now.

 

I just got home from a little viola get-together with violists from the Auckland Symphony Orchestra. Their orchestra rehearsal was cancelled so they decided to meet to play some viola music at one of the violist’s houses. Mrs Green took Hamish and me over to the lady’s house in North Shore and we played all night till 9.

 

I got in a bit of trouble with other people when they read on this blog about how I was thinking of aiming towards medicine, because they wanted to do that too (either they thought I was a copycat or they just couldn’t bear thinking of working together with me if that would ever happen in the future!) The thing is I only decided to take three sciences this year because 1) my dean recommended it and 2) it would keep the path to medicine open for me, and yes I do listen to the dean, especially when I have no idea what I want to do after school! In fact, I’d listen to anyone who could offer me career advice!

 

I’ve officially lost the bet with Zippo. Now I owe her $5, which I don’t have at my disposal. Even though all my money is stored away in my bank account, the bank has this deal that I cannot withdraw any cash and I must deposit anything at least once a month if I want to keep my interest rate up at 4.25%. If I don’t, then it drops to 1%. Yeah it’s pretty stingy. Aonghas and Hamish are with Kiwibank, and they get 4.5% no matter what they do with the money in their account! I really should think about changing banks. Anyway since I don’t have a job either, I have no money so I might have to pay Zippo back in little instalments, maybe made up of coins I find around the house…

 

Two days in to the school year, and even though it is early days, it feels pretty weird compared to last year. Last year I was busy during every lunch, whether it was Student Committee, string ensemble, young enterprise or orchestra. I haven’t signed up for anything yet so I’ve been able to enjoy my lunchtimes for once! The first meeting for anyone interested in Young Enterprise will be tomorrow so I’m thinking of resigning for that. It’s this competition where you create your own business. Last year together with Hamish, Hyun and Joon, we formed RCJ (Rutherford College Jewellery) and sold …you guessed it jewellery. Although we advertised in our own school’s daily notices, there was not ONE single person interested in what we had to sell. We got a better reception at the neighbouring primary school though, managing to sell everything we had the first time round. In the end we made a $30 profit, and a $6 dividend. We each contributed $2 so that was really good. I was secretary of the business, which turned out to be a good position for me in the end as I wasn’t blamed for everything that went wrong (Hyun copped a lot of that as managing director, so much he doesn’t want to be in the same position this year!) and I had a really light workload.

 

--

 

So Paul Holmes wants his new show simply titled ‘Paul Holmes’ on Prime TV to be ‘fearless’. I would’ve thought that Mr Holmes was already a fearless figure, being brave enough to call the UN head (whose name has eluded my mind) a ‘Cheeky Darky’ and Maori Party leader Turiana Turia ‘a bag of lard’. I wonder what he has in stall for us on Prime. We can’t receive the signal for Prime TV though because we only have a VHF antenna, so we will be forgoing his show.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment