Sunday 31 July 2011

Mobile Internet Horror

I've had a long and frustrating experience trying to get my phone to connect to Vodafone's mobile internet ever since I first bought it!

I bought my phone earlier in the year, but soon discovered that while I could access the net on my phone via WiFi, I couldn't do so via the 3G mobile internet, despite using the settings on the Vodafone website. I managed to find settings that would let me connect to WAP but not mobile internet, so my apps couldn't connect to the internet!

I tried contacting Vodafone and they just referred me to the same page on their website with the settings I had already tried! I tried ringing technical support as well and got someone from Egypt and they gave me pretty much the same advice. I also emailed the shop I bought the phone from and they gave me the same settings.

At this point I gave up and tried to make peace with the fact that I wouldn't be able to use the internet on this phone, and would eventually have to buy another phone sooner than I would have liked.

It was only recently after someone suggested I go back to the shop I bought the phone from, so I replied to them saying the settings didn't work. They told me I should hard reset my phone, then try the settings, so that's what I did and it still didn't work!

I then tried something I probably should've started right at the beginning - isolate the problem. I put in a 2 degrees sim card and it connected to the internet perfectly fine. Next I tried a Vodafone sim card and it also worked fine with the settings that didn't work for my Vodafone sim card, and it also worked fine!

I rang Vodafone again and they said maybe my sim card was old, and that I should go into a shop and ask to transfer my number to a new sim card. I did that today (which cost me $30!). Guess what? It didn't work!

I rang Vodafone AGAIN, and this time the lady told me it might take up to 24 hours. I'll have to wait and see, but I'm not holding out hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment