Sunday 4 December 2011

The Final Lesson



This weekend marked the last music lessons I had to teach for the year.

Yesterday after having spent all night awake at my youth group's sleepover to farewell Jireh, I was quite worn out when I had to go straight to the music school to teach the kids.

I spent most of the classes playing games with my students - Music Bingo! I tried to get my students to come up with a more interesting word than 'Bingo' to call out. One student came up with

'Mexico New Zealand All Blacks Binga Bingo!'

so that's what they shouted out when they thought they had won!

I did start to doze off in my last couple of classes, especially when I sat down to teach in one of my classes. We were playing Bingo, and I was calling out numbers when I started to drift a little, and said something like

'Fifteen.....to the waterfront....'


I think I realised what I had said after I snapped out of it and just hoped the students didn't notice!

It was a tad sad teaching the students this time around, as I knew that quite a few of my students won't be back next year. Most of my students were second year students and so I've taught them since they first started music. I've become quite proud of them, and it's such a shame to lose them so early! I know they won't be lost entirely, as they are all going on to learn other instruments such as the violin, flute and guitar and I've reminded them all to remember me when they become professional musicians, and to come say 'hi' to me whenever they're around, as I definitely won't forget them!

One message I left with them was that

'Perfect practice makes perfect'


no matter which musical instrument they learn. There's no point practising the wrong thing!

Two sisters I teach who are moving on to another instrument next year gave me a Christmas card and a present which was really nice of them! I haven't opened one of the presents yet, but they also gave me a snow globe, which is pretty cool!


The message they wrote on the card also meant a lot to me as well.


It was also the last lesson I was teaching at church today, and two of my students (brother and sister) gave me a present and card as well. I'll open the present on Christmas Day just so I'll have something to surprise me, but the card they gave me had quite a few amusing messages:


 

and my favourite...

No comments:

Post a Comment