Friday 21 May 2010

A Whole Lot of Pies

Tonight was the Dessert Club's Pie Eating Competition, and even though it was on a Friday night and I had youth group, I decided I'd try to make it to both!

I arrived early to help carry some of the giant tins of canned fruit from the Student Central office where it was kept to the Cap n' Gown Lounge, where we would be holding the event.

Once everything was shifted, we started going about making the pies! We had all these crusts, and had to cover them with pieces of tinned apricot, apple and pineapple in about an hour! We came up with various methods of draining all the syrup from the cans so we wouldn't soak the crusts. Probably the best idea was to make holes in the lid and just pour all the syrup out. We poured it into the drain, which to me seemed like a bit of a waste, so I drank some but I think it was a bit too much!

It was finally time to open the doors at 6.30pm and after quite a long time of sorting people into teams and ensuring they didn't quietly switch teams (they were randomised for a reason!), we got things going with the first round - designing your own pie! We gave them certain ingredients such as jam, chocolate chip, cut up easter eggs and cream and teams had to come up with a theme and create their own pies accordingly. We had teams design pies based on volcanoes, Pokemon, and even male genitalia! I don't know who won that...

While the final round of pie-eating was set up, we played a bit of play dough Chinese Whispers (see if you can picture that?) with the teams which was quite amusing!

I soon had to leave to catch my bus so I didn't get to watch the final pie-eating round, but the even turned out to be a successful!

No comments:

Post a Comment