Tuesday 28 October 2008

Home Alone

Last Wednesday our parents and Hamish flew down to Christchurch to catch up with relatives and attend the funeral of one of our great aunts (I can't exactly remember which one...I think it was Great Aunt Ruby? I've been telling people Rose but found out we have no Great Aunt Rose!).

This meant that Aonghas and I would be home alone for the next five days! I can say now that our house is still in tact and Aonghas and I got along well!

The most pressing issue was what to eat...That Wednesday morning before we got back to Henderson from the airport Aonghas and I had breakfast at McDonald's wihch wasn't too bad, and I had lunch at Wendy's that day. We just had a pizza at night. On Thursday though Aonghas had to go to work so I just ended up having a pie. Friday...now Friday I decided to try something different! I went to the Korean pancake stall that everyone's been raving on about! I have to say it was quite good! It was a little unusual having meat in a pancake but I got over that and enjoyed it! I next went down to this Asian foodcourt which I must say was a little grubby. I bought this bowl of fried rice with crab meat though which came with a bowl of soup, and it certainly was filling! It took me quite a long time to finish the huge bowl of rice! I've been warned by my friend Phoebe though that it's not safe to eat down there so I'm not too sure if I'll be back...since I haven't gotten food poisoning so far I probably will be back!

Aonghas and I binged on Wendys food on Friday night and I ended up going with pizza and popcorn on Saturday night (yes yes I can't cook) when Aonghas went off to someone's birthday party. By now there were dishes piling up and the dining room table was covered in junk. I decided on Sunday afternoon that it was about time someone got this sorted before our parents got back and through a hissy! I spent several hours after church washing dishes, and discovering that the forgotten leftover food we had in some pots had gone mouldy by now, along with all the buns we hadn't touched since our parents had gone!

The mum of this girl Jennifer in my Sunday school class (who also happens to be one of my Sunday school teachers!) was really kind, giving Aonghas and me plenty of cooked rice and vegetables for dinner on the last day we were home alone. That meant we didn't have to cook or buy any food!

OK this post has ended up about food but I guess that was one of the most noticeable differences! Of course we also had to wake up early by ourselves without our parents screaming at us, we had no one to tell us when to go to bed...so much freedom!...And so much money spent!!! But it's pretty good having them back now too though. Things are definitely a lot louder around the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment