Thursday 21 November 2013

A Week of Openings and Reopenings

This week has seen the local Spotlight store reopen, and a new Countdown supermarket open. That all means one thing - sales!

Yesterday my mum went to the Spotlight sale while I was at the gym. I went to find her afterwards and was surprised to see how packed Spotlight was! I don't think I've ever seen it that crowded before. I have to admit they were mainly older aged people there.


The aisles were quite narrow, especially for trolleys so I asked my mum if I could go to McDonald's while she continued to shop. I know, I know, undoing all my gym work!

Anyway, I went to McDonald's for a little feed. The girl at the counter recognised me and asked how I was doing, and how my brothers were doing! I didn't recognise her, but I just assumed it was probably from the countless Friday nights we go to McDonald's after youth group that she knew me! Now that's what I call good customer service!

Today was the opening of another Countdown supermarket. There is now at least four Countdowns within five minute of our house! This is the supermarket I actually applied for a job at. Countdown is gradually rolling out in-store pharmacies, and so I applied for a pharmacist position there. I never heard back, so I thought it'd be interesting to see what it's like and who's working there.

Once again this supermarket was pretty crowded. It seemed as though the staff were all getting used to their new jobs as well.


I was driving my mum into the carpark and was indicating to turn into a carpark that just became free. A car came from around the corner and I thought I'd let it pass before I turned into the carpark. The next thing I knew was the car driving straight into my car park! How rude! My mum leaned over to honk the horn before I quickly drove off so no one could see me (this car park was right opposite the entrance!). We eventually found another car park.


There were quite a few good deal today: four cans of baked beans/spaghetti for $2, a carton of eight 1.5L Coke/Diet Coke bottles for $10. Some people loaded their trolleys up with cans! There was a limit of one Coke carton per customer, but I saw one couple who each had a trolley with at least three cartons each! I'm guessing they own a dairy...

I ended up getting separated from my mum and walked around the whole supermarket three times before finding her. She's kinda short so is not the easiest person to spot in a crowd!


At least we came away with a trolley full of food! That always makes me happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment