Friday 11 June 2010

Doing the Best Under the Circumstances

It's been a difficult past few days ever since Uncle David passed away. I sat my PHARMACY409 mid-term test yesterday. I was trying to study for it at night but kept falling asleep and waking up again, and didn't end up getting to bed and getting some good sleep till 5am, which meant I was really tired during the test. I couldn't even focus properly and almost dozed off in the middle of it. I certainly won't be going into another exam again with little sleep.

I don't know how well I did in that test though. I tried to answer all the questions as best as I could, even though I had to make some stuff up. It's only 10% though so I suppose if the worst happens it won't make or break me.

Later that evening I went to my relatives' house for dinner with all the family. Uncle David was lying in the coffin in the middle of the lounge. The really spooky thing was that Rocky, their little dog kept running up to the coffin and barking at nothing! Anyway, Uncle David looked smartly dressed in a suit and a tie with a Pacific design. I don't think I'd ever seen him wearing a suit before! Never too late I guess.

We all had a bit of dinner, and some family and friends came by throughout the night to pay their respects. One of Aunty Noeline's work colleagues brought a giant banana cake! It was really yummy!

Greg was also back up in Auckland from Blenheim so it was good catching up with him. He's been training down there so he can eventually join the Air Force.

Once dinner was over, we got down to business discussing the funeral. It looked like time would be tight, since the crematorium would be closing at 4pm and the funeral would be starting at 1.30pm. I felt a little bad as they had initially suggested the funeral be held earlier in the day, but only pushed back the time because Hamish and I had an exam in the morning!

It was agreed upon that Aunty Noeline and my dad would give the eulogy at the funeral, while each of his immediate family would give a speech and Aonghas would do a little slideshow. Only the immediate family and Uncle David's brother and sister (my dad and aunty) would go with Uncle David to the crematorium to say goodbye.

When we got home it was back to study for my next exam...well not really exam but my aseptic dispensing broth test earlier today. All I had to do was transfer some broth from one container to another, and add water to the containers. It should've been quite easy, but it didn't start off too well when I dropped one of the needles on the ground as I was decontaminating it! I decontaminated it again before I put it into the still-air box though so hopefully I didn't introduce too much bacteria into it!

I finished the test in an hour and a half, so I was able to go home early and start preparing for the final exam tomorrow which I'm really really afraid of. If I fail tomorrow's exam I will have to repeat the paper next year which I want to avoid doing! It will also be Uncle David's funeral straight after the exam, so it will be a full-on day.

No comments:

Post a Comment